Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grocery shopping today. Costco was fully stocked and their typical clean and efficient self, with 100% of persons wearing a mask. They have a desk at the entrance and will not allow anyone in without a mask. It seems a very safe place to shop.

But next stop was the restaurant supply and they were almost empty. Barely any produce, meat was down by at least 80%, canned shelves had huge gaps, as did the beans and rice aisle. I was told it is a supply chain problem. Their delivery system failed and they were hoping to get supplies by tomorrow night.

It makes me nervous to see supply chain problems again already.

I've changed my shopping habits. To heck with price. If the store has something I need, I buy it on the spot, because the store that I know normally has it for cheaper might not have it. I paid the price at Costco for white rice and a good thing because the restaurant supply didn't have any.

In fact, if I see it and know I will need it soon, I go ahead and buy two.

Nothing to do with supply chains, but the restaurant supply has a big sign out requesting the everyone wear a mask, but they don't enforce it and I was the only one in the store with a face mask.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've always shopped as you do now but I've nearly always been a ways from a store too.... when I'm in town its nice to just go ahead.

As for mask enforcement.... why make a regulation with no enforcement. It's an empty promise and politicians saying they did something... politics aside seriously people whether or not you think it's a joke I do hope it doesn't cripple or kill someone you love. Don't be a jerk guys, you may be fine and healthy but not everyone is. I agreed its a very concerning subject and to be honest I think its an over reaction and ridiculous but I wear my darn mask because last thing I want is to kill a loved one accidentally because I was being dumb and then have to live with that the rest of my years.

·
Premium Member
8,672 Posts
I suppose the resultant supply store, if it’s true to its name, is caught between restaurants all closed for a while and they had little sales volume to now many places opened and so they are suddenly in big demand again.

it has to be a scramble to try to keep up with that whipsaw effect.

Paul

·
Premium Member
2,557 Posts
I'm happy to be living in an area where most of that nonsense is now behind us. The panic buying seems to be over and everyplace is fully stocked. Masks are not required anyplace I've been lately (except the hospital) and it appears maybe 1/3 of people are wearing them, not me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Like Fishindude, that whole business was behind us. All restaurants, bars, stores open for business. Then the state (KS) must have been disatisfied with things returning to normal too soon so they have now decreed that effective next Friday (why not now if it is really important?) masks will be "required" in public. I and hundreds of others have publicly signed a pledge that we will not comply.

I do not ant anyone to get sick! But no one is required to go out in public if they are uncomfortable. Shoot, nearly every grocery will either deliver or bring your supplies out to your car. For those who work they can wear a mask if they wish, and private employers and stores can require what they want. But as a (supposed to be) free American I will do what I please because I do not accept that any politician has the authority to force any private citizen to do anything.

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This restaurant supply house has always been open to the public, so they were maybe not so badly hurt by restaurants closing. They were always fully stocked all during the hoarding crisis (except for rice and disinfecting cleaners and hand sanitizers). I've always shopped there and I guess the word got around that they had plenty of food because home level shoppers came flooding in, trying to buy small sizes of stuff,

I know that several of the chain stores seem to be well supplied now.

I Check the grocery ads online every week, looking for bargains I can use and nobody is advertising anything useful. Or if they are offering it "on sale" the price is high.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts