Worrisome interest from strangers......

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jill.costello, Dec 22, 2005.

1. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

I'm starting to re-assess just how safe I feel on my homestead. Twice in the last 3 weeks, we have had a stranger (different one each time) stop on our road, look around for awhile, then drive into the driveway to ask myself or DH if we had any goats for sale.

Now, anyone who has been on our road 2 or more times will have seen our goats. They ALL have bright purple collars on with bright purple tags shaped like little hearts. Each tag is engraved with their name, and our address & phone number. (2 does, 2 kids)

We always are polite, but inform them that our goats are pets and not for sale. These guys just seem alittle creepy; one even acted like he didn't believe us; he said he "was told" that we had goats for sale.

THEN, to really spook me he says "well, what about the horses? You sellin' any of those horses?"

Again, we said "NO", those are our broodmares, we don't sell them".

AGAIN, I got this wierd instinct that he just didn't believe us.

As I mull this all over, I'm getting myself pretty nervous about my and my animals safety. I don't like the idea of someone "coveting" my animals! Of course, anyone can SEE them from the road, but to THINK about them? to WONDER about them? To INQUIRE about them..... gives me the heebee-jeebees!

Any thoughts/tips/words of wisdom??

2. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

That is REALLY creepy. I'm trying to figure out the "why?"
    Did he imply that he wanted these animals for meat? Without trying to sound racist, what nationality were these people? Did you ask if they were looking for meat animals?

3. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

If you were driving through an area and saw some goats in the field and were interested in getting some would you stop and ask? If you went to the feed store, and enquired about goats for sale, do you think that you might be told "There's this lady who comes in every couple weeks and gets some goat feed, she might have some"?

Couple that with the fact that many rural folks don't have the best people skills and you'll get what you expearienced. I wouldn't give it a second thought. Sounds pretty normal to me.

J

4. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

Any chance you might be from the city, moved to the country recently. It sounds like normal country life to me. I just noticed 4 new beehives on the road to my son's house within the last few weeks. I have every intention of stopping and saying hello to a fellow beekeeper as soon as I catch him in the yard, so I don't have to knock on the door when his wife or daughter may be at home alone. See, there's a little respect in the country, too.

5. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

As a matter of fact, they both had pretty thick hispanic accents. But that's pretty normal for this part of Texas. There IS alot of Boer-goat-eating that goes on around here, but their easy to find/get and are cheap..... why go driving around asking about goats that are OBVIOUSLY NOT Boers? (one is silver, the other three are agouti/brown).
    And the horses? They are NOT anything like Quarter Horses- they're a German breed called Hanoverian, and would not be mistaken for 'slaughter-house-bound'.
    I guess the creepiness is from the phrase "any of those horses for sale?" Meaning, he didn't care which one in particular, ANYONE would do.....

6. starwalker

starwalker Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. I too think it's creepy. I have similar things here. My cars, horses. Yes, I do have quite a few cars. All the same. SX/4's. I have people stopping all the time here asking if they are for sale. I'm always polite when they stop. But I'd love to just blurt out...If they were for sale, Don't you think I would have a sign out there? duh.

Usually they see the cars then ask if the horses are for sale. Then anything else they can possibly see. Chickens, building materials next to our project coop. It's like they are Walmart shopping. :bash:

7. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Personally I would not like it either.

I had some problems at my old Farm with people wanting to buy cheap sheep,, or thinking my miniature lambs were cute and try to take them.
    Once I started taking pictures of their licence plates the problems stopped.

8. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

Sometimes harmless folks seem creepy and seemingly harmless people are creeps. I think as long as you were firm with them you won't have any trouble either way.

And tell those goats to stop flirting with strangers. :D

9. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

It'd be fairly normal around here but you are the final judge of what is acceptable on your property! Post a sign No Trepassing and No Solicitations, if it bothers you and your worries/visitors will hopefully disappear. I gotta say the fellow asking if anything is for sale is a creep and might be up to no good. I won't tell you what I said to the last fellow who tried that here walking towards my machinery shed for a look! We have a motion sensor set up to alert us to new arrivals, I think the fact they can't sneak in keeps the ball in my court.

10. legacy

legacy Well-Known Member

My brother-in-law, who lives near Franklin, Tennesseee, had mexicans stop to inquire about goats (he just had a few) so often that he is now raising them with the intent of selling to Mexicans. He said they are particularly interested in goat meat during Mexican holidays, including Christmas.

The other thing I have found is, that as disgusting to us as it may seem, other cultures treat horse meat just as we would treat beef. The French are pretty well known for this but there are other cultures that i know of, including hispanic counties.

It's not so weird when you start thinking abou it (but, no, I've not nor am I gonna eat horse just for the sake of doing it.)

BTW, my bro in law says if you are outside, and they see goats, they'll stop to inquire, often buying them on the spot.

I wouldn't worry too much about the drive-by thing, but I'd take the same precautions as I would with any stranger.

11. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

I wouldn't get too creeped out about it either.

There are urban myths abounding about "great deals found in the country". Every old car enthusiast has heard their fair share of stories about an old Chevy that had been parked in a barn that was bought for $500 when someone stopped and ask about it. Turns out it was a '53 Corvette, worth over a hundred thousand dollars. Your goat inquiries could be of the same type.

I can hear it now: Mother wants a goat meat for Christmas. City slicker son asks around about finding a goat. Uncle Jim says, when I was young, we just drove out in the country and bought one from a farmer.

Remember, people can be stupid.

With all of that, always err on the safe side. Carry a phone outside with you, and keep a shotgun fairly handy.
    clove

12. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

This also might be a new way of earning additional income. If you have had this many asking for goats, there must be a market in your area.
    clove

13. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

Not to hijack the thread, but liking horsemeat is not limited to foreigners and ethnics. It used to be quite popular up here in Washington until we got Californicated.

14. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

The fact that you're uncomfortable with their actions (whether they're harmless or not) makes me think that you might want to invest in a very large, particularly frightening-looking dog. Granted, a dog isn't going to stop the really mean evil-doers (ha! just gotta love that term!) but it will sure as chit stop anyone who thinks they're going to be able to grab a goat and go...

15. texican

texican Well-Known Member

If you have goats visible from the road, you WILL have hispanics dropping by wanting to buy em. Got a cousin, a mile off the road, and she has hispanics coming by all the time for hogs or goats...even when she tells them she doesn't have any available till spring...they'll still come by, just in case she changed her mind...

If they were up to 'no good', they'd never drive up to the house. Get a 'bad dog' sign and put up at the entrance to your road. Most of the folks I'd imagine are harmless. The bad ones...well, the bad ones will make their bad selves known pretty quick... do what I do...meet and greet with a .44mag nonchalantly on my hip...

16. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I gotta admit that I have done exactly that. Seen goats by the road and stopped to ask the owners about them. Though, I must admit, I *think* I am a little more people skilled than you describe... ;) They never got ticked off and were glad to talk about them. If I was interested, but they weren't selling at the time, they might give me their number for future reference. I have had people come by and look at my goats for sale and try to get me to put a price on every goat on the place. Uh-uh. What is for sale is for sale and everything else is NOT. That is likely to tick me off pretty quick. Or the person who says, "$150!!, I can by one at the auction for $20!!" I tell them to go right ahead if thats what they want. Go buy at the auction, but don't complain to me about my prices. They are *my* prices, you don't have to like them. As for the guy who asks if "any of those horses are for sale?"...Yep, there are people who are just looking for a bargain and don't care what it is. Ran into many of them in the goat business. People come in all shapes and sizes. If you have goats by the road, be prepared to have people drop in on you at all times. You can post a no trespassing sign or start carrying your camera around with you as another poster suggested. I wouldn't get too worried about it, but don't let your guard down too much, either.

17. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

how about one of those internationally recognizable signs depicting a "shot on site" area. i saw one in a movie with one stick figure shooting and another dropping.

18. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

It happens here all the time and it is a majority of my farm sales. I am not creeped out by it at all! All of my regular customers were people who showed up in my driveway and asked about goats or poultry for sale. I've had Mexicans show up from 120 miles away, pull in like they knew just where they were going and ask for goats for sale. If I don't have any, I make a phone call or two and send them on their way to the nearest goat for sale. I am 12 miles out of town off a road to nowhere and a half mile in on private roads. A dump truck driver stopping and asking about the dead chevy is how I got $50 for the Scooby Van I couldn't give away to anyone I knew.

The only one who creeps me out a bit is the Vietnamese lady, nice woman but she wants to eat everybody living on the property.

19. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

What creeps me out is the people that walk right to people's front dooes and offer them a rediculous ammount of money for the place, but they never come to my place. :flame:

20. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

This is not a fact.