Worried...Is this unusual before delivery?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by desertoasisfarm, Jul 11, 2006.

1. desertoasisfarm

desertoasisfarm Active Member

My last goat to kid started showing signs of labor earlier today, ligs gone, then the discharge..BUT.. None of the other 4 does had this strange yellowish brown color discharge...Is this normal?
    Discharge obvious @ 3pm (5 hrs ago)

Everything else seems normal, pawing occasionally, biting/chewing at her side etc. She even ate at dinner time.

I hope I'm just being a worry wart and there's nothing wrong, last time she kidded (3 years ago) she started at about the same time of day and finished at 1:30 in the morning!
    Thanks if you have any input. Linda

2. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know but I wanted to bump this up.

3. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

I don't know either, not sure what you're talking about. Does the discharge smell bad? If not, I personally wouldn't worry too much, but you might let your vet know there may be a problem so they're ready just in case. If it does smell bad, I'd be getting her to a vet, if not immediately, then certainly after she kids, as she'll need something to clear her uterus of the infection.

4. desertoasisfarm

desertoasisfarm Active Member

Sorry I didn't post back but she delivered thursday 3AM. First buck kid very big and active, about 15 min later the second buck kid expelled dead. Extremely small..only half the size of the first. She went on to expel all after birth and seems fine...eating well and nursing the baby who has a voracious appetite.

I'm just wondering if she could have bred at two different times and the second kid was not developed? I haven't had time to research it to see if that is possible.

So anyway thanks for input, if I find out I'll post again, or if anyone else knows please let me know.

5. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

congratulation :)
    it is possible that she was bred a second time. also possible that this kid had a very bad position in uterus and did not get enough nutrition.
    looks like your doe is doing just fine. i would watch her temperature and discharge in case of uterine infection.

6. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Glad everything is fine with mom and baby.