worried 'bout bugs!!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by jackie c, Feb 21, 2005.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I have two major pests here, slugs and grasshoppers. Having large garden plots, I'm wondering what the cheapest way to control these pests is, anyone got suggestions?

Home made and organic are the means I'm looking for, thanks.

2. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I would suggest low trays of beer for slug control.

For grasshoppers keep vegetation well back of garden borders, or at least low clipped. That is not a control, but merely a deterrent.

Got chickens or other fowl? Chickens around the garden will also help keep grasshopper population down.

3. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Grasshoppers are a nightmare! I have spread the Nolo bait, it is supposed to give them an illness, and is organic. It takes a couple of years in my opinion, but I did have some success with it.

What I had the most luck with might not work for you, if your garden is huge. Mine is only about 25' X 30'. I made a framework of PVC over it and used bird netting. It doesn't keep the small ones out, but as soon as they are big enough to do serious damage, it is extremely effective.

hollym

4. greggholmes

greggholmes Member

5. Phantomfyre

Phantomfyre Black Cat Farm Supporter

Slugs were AWFUL here last year. I hand-picked them in the LAWN in a 1 sq. ft. area, and stopped counting at 20! :eek:

Beer works, but it has to be fresh beer, changed at least daily. I think it's the alcohol that kill them - once that evaporates, the slugs climb in, drink their fill, and leave. Saw 'em do it! :mad:

There is a product that is supposed to be safe around pets and other critters that baits the slugs. Gives them anorexia - they eat it once, and never eat again. Can't remember the name of it right off - came in a turquoise container, and the active ingredient was iron phosphate, I believe. It takes a TINY amount of the stuff, and seemed to work very well for stopping slug damage. You have to reapply it as it is eaten or after it rains hard, but it does work.

I also wanted to get a couple ducks - heard great things about their appetities and love of slugs. :D Alas, I don't have a pond and BOTH neighbors on either side of me do, so without fencing, I'd lose my ducks! I haven't ruled the idea out completely, though, since I'll probably have to fence in the veggie garden anyway if I want to protect it from woodchucks, coons, deer, etc.

Am also considering chickens in tractors. (Movable pens.) That way, I can protect the veggies from the chickens and put them to work where I want them. Still trying to convince DH that this is a good idea, however. :rolleyes:

Fortunately, I haven't had to deal with grasshopper damage, so I don't really know how to control them. But the chickens would probably help a lot.

Good luck!
    Diana

6. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi