Worried about skin rash on new puppy

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by Ravenlost, May 27, 2006.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Brawn has a recurring skin rash that has me concerned. He is a GP with very pale delicate skin. The rash is on his tummy, chest and the inside of his legs in the creases. The first time he got it we put Mupirocin Ointment USP, 2% on it and it cleared up in a few days. Some of the bumps had begun to look like large boils!

Now it's back. Does this sound like a food allergy? Are Great Pyrenees prone to skin rashes? Any recommendations as to what I should treat it with? I'm concerned about using the Mupirocin Ointment because he does lick some of it off.

Should I just take him to the vet Monday?

2. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Staph (a type of bacteria) infections are very common. Does his belly get wet and stay that way for a while (laying in dewy grass, etc)? Keep his belly clean and dry. A little ointment won't hurt him. You could try to put it on when he's going to be occupied with something else like eating or playing with the other dogs. This isn't something that just Pyrs get. It's very common in a lot of puppies (and adult dogs). Ruby had Staph infections when she was young until her skin/immune system toughened up. If he isn't improving by early next week then a vet visit for some antibiotics may well be in order (is your vet's office really open on Monday? Those poor people!).

3. Ravenlost

His tummy stays pretty dry (hasn't rained here in a month and he's indoors most of the time). Since the ointment worked last time I'll use it again...I have plenty. Hopefully he'll outgrow this.

LOL...yes, our vet's office is open on Monday and half a day on Saturday. What's funny is old Doc Loftin retired and sold the office to another vet. Now he only comes in four+ days a week. When hubby asked him about it he said, "I retired. I didn't die!"

4. mellba

mellba Well-Known Member Supporter

All three of my dogs have bumps in various places. Some are on their stomachs but some are on their legs and shoulders too. These bumps seem to have liquid in them and they break and drain on their own, then dry up and go away, but new bumps appear in different places. They aren't covered by these bumps, just a few here and there. The bumps don't seem to itch or bother them. The bumps appeared after I changed from making their food to feeding them Canidae All Life Stages food. Also I started feeding them fish oil. I wondered if the problem could be the food or the fish oil. The fish oil is their bedtime treat, so I hope it isn't that.

5. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

One of our German Shepherds (she's a plush) has a serious food allergy problem, and her skin will do that. She will do well on a particular food for about a year at a time, then we have to find another.

When we had the farm, we fed them mainly raw food (rabbit) and brown rice broth. She never had any problems then. Right now Eukanuba is working well on her. But I have to drive a few hours to get it or have it shipped in, so for awhile I had her on Pedigree from the local pet shop...bad news. Her rash got worse on it and then she started losing her hair like crazy, in big nasty disgusting clumps.

30 days on the Eukanuba and she was completely rash free, another month and all her hair had grown back in.

We'd taken her to the vet, and he told us she had a thyroid problem and would need to be medicated for life. Whatever! :grump:

The Wandering Quilter's Life in a Box!

6. CJ

7. Ravenlost

It's funny you pulled this old thread up CJ. I had forgotten all about Brawn's skin problems when he was a puppy. It turned out he did, indeed, have allergies...he is severely allergic to chicken. Now that we have him on special food he rarely has a problem.

And yes, when my two kids moved out I filled the hole in my life with cats and dogs...eight dogs and ten cats as of today's count.

8. CJ

A vet told us that rabbit is hypoallergenic. I've no idea if that's true or not, but when we fed our dogs the rabbits we raised, they looked SO good.

They don't as well on raw chicken, but that could also be due to the fact that it's not organically raised, and tends to be treated, hence the reaction.

I'm glad to hear it was a simple food allergy. Over the years, we've found most health related problems are food caused. I personally believe it to be the same with humans.

The Wandering Quilter's Life in a Box!

9. Ravenlost

He eats a diet based on venison, rice, sweet potatoes and salmon. He's up to 99 lbs now and doing great!