Worried about doe...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by GoldenWood Farm, Jan 1, 2005.

1. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Ok you know my doe who is due in less than 2 weeks? She is on the skinney side and she is worrying me. She just doesn't really want to eat her grain....I gave her some corn and calf manna to try and give her more protien. I my self have been sick with a ear infection and a cold...not to mention a HORRID cough. So I haven't been getting out like I should. I am worried about her going into ketosis because of her not eating her grain like she should. She isn't horrible horrible skinney but I would like to see some more flesh on her bones. She is about 1 1/2 weeks from kidding. I am so worried....I am not sure how to get her to eat her grain. I am tried molassas tonight but no luck...(might be because I put some other stuff in there to..). She seems to be eating hay and alfalfa fine and drinking fine. Not very pushy when it comes to feed though. I am cleaning out a pen tomorrow that she will be put in the last week or two of her pregnency along with my new alpaca baby that I am training. That way she has company that isn't a goat. That way I can give her the supplements that she really needs. My other does that are due will be easier to give their grain and stuff because they are PIGS! Ramsey is a pig but she isn't pushy by any means yet she isn't on the bottem either. *sigh*...I guess I am just worried over dumb things...do other people start worrying about things like this as they get closer to their due date? I am like.....I keep thinking " hope she isn't going into ketosis" or "is she supposed to look like that?". I know that they will loose some weight during pregnency...I mean I know that she won't be really fat or anything. Her udder is already half way full...Please tell me I am just being a worry wort and that my doe is just fine!

MotherClucker

2. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

didn't you say that you had just changed the type of feed ?? If so then maybe she is just plain picky and wants her old feed back. Sorry I don't have another solution.

3. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds II Corinthians 5:7 Supporter

I have had to deal with this type of situation several times because I have two does who are rather picky (pigs when they get what they want). I have, also, had this occur when it had more to do with their rumen than the feed. I can tell you what I have done; and you can see if it seems appropriate for you to do.

First off, I never; but never, change their feed in any way "during" their pregnancy. Right at the time of breeding I start adding a small amount of bird seed, i.e, the kind with dried fruit, nuts and black oil sunflower seeds mixed together. I, also, add a little pumpkin seed. This regimen continues throughout their pregnancy. It puts nice weight on them the first part of their pregnancy; thereby, leaving a little room for them to play with should they get finicky for any reason during the last part of their pregnancy. (Then I try not to worry as long as they are eating grass and hay of high quality.)

Should any start worrying me, I give them a dose of C.M.P.K. Gel (a nutritional supplement for dairy cattle), a large dose of Probios (a source of live/viable, naturally occurring microorganisms); and add Merrick's Blue Ribbon Calf Electrolyte Pack (with special direct-fed microbials) to their water.

When they kid, I give the kids one-fourth cc of Bo-Se and one-fourth cc Naxel (mostly for precaution).

Hope this helps.

4. A box of shredded wheat would tempt her to eat...add grain gradually with cereal

5. GoldenWood Farm

Well today she looks fine. She ate some grain (not tons mind you) is very perky and healthy looking. I am going to try molassas again tonight. We shall see I guess. She is eating her alfalfa fine and I gave them out christmas tree to eat (They fell all over it :haha: ). Tomorrow I will finish then pen that she is being put in. So on monday she will be put in it(tomorrow I have to finish cleaning it and disinfect it.). She is uddering up nicely. Hope those babys come on time :D .

MotherClucker

6. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

Motherclucker, I agree with the others about not changing her feed this late. The last couple of weeks before kidding the kids will drop and start getting into position and the doe will look alot smaller. Maybe this is the case. Hope you get over your sickness and the doe will do fine. :) Wish I had some of that pretty green alfalfa to feed my girls like was in the picture that you posted the other day.

7. GoldenWood Farm

Yea it probably is because the kids have dropped. She feels a tad bit on the skinney side for me. I was just worried that she was going into ketosis...I had read about it and was worried that maybe why my doe wasn't eating her grain was because of that. Now I think she is just being a snob. She never has eaten her grain very good in the first place. I changed her grain when she was about 2 months from being due. She has had the grain before so it wasn't new to her.

MotherClucker

8. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

might consider giving her a vitamin b shot...check to make sure it won't hurt...i don't remember anymore, but i'd think it wouldn't, and it stimulates appetite a little. put a little molasses in her water. as long as she's eating plenty of hay and drinking plenty, don't worry about her too much. yes, most of us worry. (i did when i had them)

9. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Do you have Nutri Drench or Propylene Glycol on hand for an emergency? My picky goat has never liked any feed other than the one she was eating at her previous place, so it could be pickiness. But one of the first signs of hypocalcemia is that she stop eating grains and it tends to develop between 2 weeks before kidding or right after (milking fever). She should still browse however. Give her a dose of CMPK gel or drench her with calcium gluconate if her appetite doesn't go back to normal today. The doses I've read are 30 ml at a time for the gel or 5 oz. drench for the calcium. Having baking soda free choice will help neutralize the acids in her rumen that will form from the meds. I've just gone through this scary situation with my Alpine and she came through alright but it was very touch and go there for almost a week right after she kidded. If you want to talk please pm me and I'll tell you what I've learned first hand. Best wishes with her.

10. GoldenWood Farm

Well I finally got ahold of my goatie mentor and she told me that if the doe is eating her hay and alfalfa fine that she would be just fine. Since this doe is a boer she said that she doesn't need as much grain as I was trying to give her. My goatie mentor owned this doe before me so she knows her well. Thanx!!

MotherClucker

11. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member