wormy horse chestnuts/buckeyes?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by hisenthlay, Oct 17, 2005.

1. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

Ok, I have a question similar to the hickory nut question below. Are buckeyes commonly afflicted with those borer worms? Is there anything I could do to avoid the worms or kill them without altering the outside of the shell? Freezing? Baking? I only picked nuts with no holes/cracks, but I know that's no guarantee that they're worm-free.

I just collected a ton of buckeyes that I was planning on using in craft projects. The plan is to make wreaths, garlands, and bunches of them to hang on doorknobs. I was going to drill a small hole through the center to string them on copper wire. I was going to give some to family as gifts--I really don't want worms popping out of my decorations. :eek:

Any ideas?
    Thanks!

2. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

The hickory string was the first I had heard of worms in nuts that you couldn't see.

I wonder if, for your purposes, you can drill the holes and then just set them outside for awhile to let the worms leave.

Or freeze them first, like someone else said.

3. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

Thanks, cc-rider. Maybe I'll drill the holes then freeze them in some tupperware so I can see if anything came out (and so no worms get in the freezer!). Ick.

I was all excited about my project, until my fiancee told me about the worms. He wasn't sure if worms like buckeyes, but his parents have chestnut trees at their farm in KY, and they gave up trying to eat them when worms would come crawling out a few days after the nuts had been gathered--they didn't want to spray any insecticide, which I guess would've helped.

I did a quick internet search and found a site that seemed to say that horse chestnuts don't usually attract that kind of worm, but I'd like to be sure.

If anyone has any personal experience with this, please let me know. Ohioans?? Any insight on your state symbol?

4. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I've gotta think that freezing them for a few days would take care of the problem.