Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got 2 kiko wethers, born 7/3/14. We are using them as brush goats. They came from a neighbor who lives about a mile from us.

When we got them on 10/11, their eyelids were pale. The neighbor said we should keep an eye on that and if they do not improve, she would come and give them a dewormer. We had her come over on 10/19 and she gave them each 5 mls of Cydectin pour on (orally).

The eyelid color improved for one of them. The other stayed about the same.

They are acting fine, eating fine, poop is normal. However, yesterday in the morning I found a pile of poop (regular looking berries) with worms in it. To my untrained eye, it looked like tape worm segments I have seen in dog poop before. But after looking at pictures online, I *think* they are barber pole larvae. I also do not know which goat it came from.

Should we re-treat with cydectin again? Should we use a different de-wormer?

Our neighbor said that they should not need anything for a while and she does not like to use de-wormer often.

·
Registered
954 Posts
"Usually" the only worms you can see in poo are tapeworms. (BP larve are very small to see just by walking by and looking.) Cydectin does not treat tapeworms. In adults tapes do not normally cause a problem and are treated mainly b/c they bother us. Treatment would be Valbazen or Safeguard. However, your goat's eyes are telling you something else is causing anemia, so I would recommend a fecal so you can target the worms they have.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Usually" the only worms you can see in poo are tapeworms. (BP larve are very small to see just by walking by and looking.) Cydectin does not treat tapeworms. In adults tapes do not normally cause a problem and are treated mainly b/c they bother us. Treatment would be Valbazen or Safeguard. However, your goat's eyes are telling you something else is causing anemia, so I would recommend a fecal so you can target the worms they have.
Thanks. It looked like tapeworm segments I have seen in dog poo years ago. But the tapeworm in goat poo pics online look nothing like what I saw.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
When in doubt, get a fecal done. :) Then you will KNOW what worms you do/don't have and don't have to guess and second guess yourself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts