Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was down in the barn feeding the goats I discovered some diarrhea that had worms in it. They looked like maggots. I think they were all dead. (I wormed the goats 3 or 4 weeks ago with Ivermectin) Does anyone know what type of worms they might be? :shrug: Or is it even possible to tell from that discription?

My doe that had been sick (the reason I wormed) was having normal movements 3 days ago (I saw them) so I'm not sure if this came from one of the goats or the dog or what.

Thanks!

Beth

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,677 Posts
Sounds like tapeworm segments to me. Ivomec doesnt work on tapeworms

·
Premium Member
15,785 Posts
What color were the worms? Were they flat? Segmented?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The worms were white and about this __ long.

I have another kind of wormer too, but I don't think it targets tapeworms, either. What would be best to treat with?

Thanks,

Beth

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,677 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Pretty much the only worm you will ever see is tapes. Valbazan works on tapes - not sure what else does, but read the labels - many do not.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
you can use safeguard for tapeworms in dogs? Anybody wanna give me a dosage for dogs and goats?

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
You can use panacur (safeguard) on just about any animal for tapeworms. It is a weak wormer and needs to be used in a brave fashion. it is better to use to much than too little. I had a kitten last year that had tape worms and I did some googling and found that safegard could be used at 100 times the normal does on a kitten without killing it....now remember, that was in a research lab.

Also, safeguard should be given 3-5 days in a row...I do 5 days in a row when treating a dog or cat or puppy or kitten. I honestly can't remember the dose, but I am a bit heavy handed. I don't use it anymore on goats but on a routine basis except once recently when I was out of valbazen which is my wormer of choice for tape worms. If you were gonna go out and buy a wormer for the worms you can actually see in their poop, then buy the valbazen not the panacur (safeguard) IMO.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, everyone for your replies.

I spoke with the vet this morning and she said that dogs and cats get tape worms from fleas and goats get tape worms from some kind of snail in the ground. :shrug: She also said that I do not need to treat everyone, just the one that has them. (That makes me a little nervous!)

She said I needed a prescription medication for the cats or dog but could use panacur for the goats.

I guess I'll be spending the evening trying to watch everyone poop!

Beth

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
We each do things differently, but I hate seeing tapes in poop and I buy a big bottle of "valbazen" at the feedstore (made for sheep and cattle) and dose the herd with it. The dose is 1cc per 10 lbs orally and then repeat in 10 days. I use it in conjunction with "cydection pour on for cattle" (1cc per 25 lbs orally) which kills other worms. Here in Texas it is still raining and we are battling a severe paracite problem with the wet and the heat. So many here are being very diligent with worming the goats and are having to really focus on staying on top of it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts