Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning, when we let the goats out, we noticed tiny worms in the bucks' water dish! Obviously they have worms, but what kind of worms are they? Will Valbazen work? And what should we give Hazel, who is possibly pregnant?
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,095 Posts
Worms in goats are really tough anymore. Valbazen works well around this area for most worms, but you have to use enough. And Valbazen cannot be used on pregnant does.
Those look like round worms, but it depends on the size. I would have to see them in person to be sure. Sorry.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found out that they're horsehair worms! Apparently they live in water and are totally harmless. Whew, I'm glad about that . . . although they are still gross, LOL.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The only GOAT parasites that are visible to the eye are tapeworm eggs when excreted. The worms themselves do not live outside the host, just the eggs. When the worms die (naturally or dewormed) they are broken down full within the digestive tract before being excreted. There are parasites of other animal species that ARE passed whole and alive but none to goats.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info! When our pet dogs get worms sometimes, you can easily tell because the worms show in their excrement. I didn't know it was different for goats!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts