Worms and parasites in the Caribbean

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Ziffy, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Ziffy

Ziffy New Member

hi everyone,
    I live in Antigua w.i - I have had goats for 4yrs now and still learning. I recently started fecal tests and my goats tested positive for hookworms and coccidia. One goat had diarrhea for a few days which is why I tested but no major sicknesses. One family of goats I have from an older doe I bought seems to be more anemic than the others. They also don't put on weight. There is no goat vet on island and all meds has to be brought in so it's not easy. I have just wormed with oxfendazole and drenched all with a sulfur treatment. I have read I should re-worm in 10 days to get new hatched eggs. The lab don't do a worm count either as it's only usually for humans. Does anyone do these lab tests themselves? If so can you please recommend some good info or where to get a lab kit that Has everything I need? Also any info on resistance to white wormers and wormers safe for a pregnant doe to tackle hookworms is much appreciated. Thanks

2. Goat and Chixken Lady

Goat and Chixken Lady Member

Hi,
    I am new to the goat business and have also dealt with a heavy worm load issue and coccidia. The 2 websites I've found the most useful are www.fiascofarms.com and www.tennesseemeatgoats.com. They have more information than you could ever hope for. Fiasco Farms has a step by step system to do fecal counts with lists of everything you need and pics of what to look for. I would definitely bookmark those 2 sites.

Ziffy likes this.

3. Ziffy

Ziffy New Member

Thank you very much I will read both.

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Also at the top of the goat forum is a sticky that I created, and there are LOTS of good informational links. Number one being wormx.info. Here is a link to the complete list: http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/threads/informational-links.561537/

Parasites are a complex situation. Chemical dewormers are not a crutch for bad parasite management as parasite resistance to chemical dewormers is a HUGE problem in small ruminants. Many problems can be 'managed' away, with chemical dewormers only playing a small role. This requires parasite biology knowledge as well as pasture management knowledge and use of proper nutrition and things like copper oxide rod use etc.

I do my own fecals and it is easy. I purchased flotation solution from Biogenics, ltd and a binocular microscope off of Amazon for less than 200.00. Another option are places like mid america ag research - it is a US based company so I would email or call before sending samples, but they are CHEAP at only 5.00 US each. That is probably the most economical route to go.