Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this could be a poll, but here is a question for everyone:
how often do you worm your goats? (synthetic, not herbal)

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
A fecal for me down south doesn't give you the whole picture. HC worms arrest this time of year, so perbreeding the does are wormed with something known to kill HC (Cydectin) and then because you don't see liverflukes on fecal during our mild winters and ivermectin also gets the 3rd stage arrested larve of HC, I worm with Ivermectin Plus when the girls are dried at 100 days pregnant. To let either of these two worms overwinter in my barn would give me massive loss of production and general appearance of my goats come spring. It's rare to see anything on fecal during the winter down here. Most cool weather worms eat the does condition, so using anemia charts, since the worms don't suck blood, doesn't work either. So know your area. In your area of the country most use the winter to liverfluke and get arrested HC, one of my mods worms 3 times every 10 days with Ivermectin Plus, a different dosage than I do, but used for the same reasons...we sell milk and it's the only time we really can use Ivermectin with this flukecide in it, with it's huge milk withdrawals.

So like everything in goats, the answer is "it depends", alot on where you live. Vicki

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
It was my understanding that you could not use Ivermectin PLUS in a goat that is pregnant as it would abort the babies. Has this information changed?
DC

·
Nubian dairy goat breeder
4,465 Posts
if you use the ivermectin plus on a doe in her first trimester, it can (not always ;) ) lead to abortion because of the clorsulon that is for treating flukes.
i have used th ivermectin plus on pregnant does and they did not abort.

·
4,465 Posts
if i do fecal check the whole year round and not only in winter, i know what kind of parasites i have and what to deal with. there is no such thing as parasites in hibernation that just don't show up in winter. in case they are smarter in other parts of the country, there is still the possibility to check inner eyelids and look at the condition of the goats.
just know your goats ;)

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Susanne.....all you see on fecal is eggs. If a worm stops laying eggs
she is still eating condition in your doe, or sucking blood, just not reproducing. No mama worm is going to put eggs out into the cold winter weather, so they are killed if there is a freeze outside.

Sorry but just for once look up arrested larve. It is what Ivermectin, Valbazen etc... ONLY get when you worm with it for HC worms. I do believe even on the bottle it states that it gets the arrested form of, or 4th stage larve......

The only time you can see adult worms or larve is on a fecal at necropsy, other than that you are looking for anemia with FAMACHA or eggs on a fecal floatation.

I realise your don't have the worm burdens up north we have here...hell I am just in from chores and am in my capri's and a short sleeved shrit. I will be powerwashing my barn cement after customers leave after lunch.

I am very careful to give infomration to those who are up north, a different answer...like although we don't grain our dry does who are not 100 days pregnant, this could be dangerous up north in the cold because goats do need some energy from carbs to stay warm and not loose condition. Down here...they just get fat. So please temper your ongoing problem with anything I say with the fact that we have alot of folks from down south on this forum. It's your opinion that there is no such thing as arrested larve, or mama worms who don't lay eggs for you to find on fecal, who are still doing damage to the goats during the winter in the south...I know it as fact, it is common knowledge in the south. Vicki

·
4,465 Posts
blood sucking worms that still are damaging and bloodsucking, animals will have pale eyelids. those are the ones still laying eggs. arrested larvae, although not wanted either, are dormant, doing nothing, don't "eat condition" of the goats.
if there is a sufficient parasite control program the whole year, no mater if south or north or on the moon, this should be of no consequences.

in saying i just worm because i guess there could be something is just wrong advice. studies showing the rise of resistance to cydectin. not much left to use after that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts