Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SOOOOO I finally got my GOOSE! One with the knobby things in her beak (told she lays sometimes)- she and 2 ducks were purchased from a city pet/ feed store (? didnt know they had those in the Bay area) 2 years ago, and the owners are moving into a small apartment.... so I got them(YAY)-

they were in a chain link kennel on dirt, no food or water in sight, surrounded by dogs on chains, the big heavy kinds. Even the chihuahua was on a chain.
Nevertheless the owner was big hearted, kind person who just wants to see them in a good home...
Well needless to say, they were DIRTY, and skinny. No bugs that I can see (they cleaned up good in the wading pool we filled up for them, had to empty it 3 times right off the start)....
But am thinking living in bare dirt surrounded by dogs, maybe a good idea to worm?
They are quarunteened from my animals-- so good time to worm I think (I will sprinkle DE on their poops during this worming period....)...

Would Valbazen be a good choice (reading the worming chicken threads) and whats the dose for a goose- the ducks are about the same size as my chickens (not too big Pekin duck and a Cayuga drake, I think)...

Thanks in advance, ya'll....

·
HOW do they DO that?
2,849 Posts
I don't believe that dogs and chickens share parasites....most are species specific?

But could be a good idea to treat any new animal....or quarantine and wait and see if it's needed.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Body condition isn't always indicative of parasitic load.

With the birds being in a physically compromised state (skinny), I would quarantine and work on diet and restoring their physical condition before I would treat with any anthelmintic drugs.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks guys, they look alot better just with a big wading pool and are eating well - desperate to get with other birds, actually.... I have to leave town sat and not sure I feel comfortable leaving them in a small pen through next Wed...
Have a call out to the vet though...
(good thoughts on waiting to build em back up before adding chemical wormers, may just start with some apple cider vinegar in their wading pool...)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts