worming questions

Discussion in 'Goats' started by cedarbreezefarm, Jun 29, 2005.

1. cedarbreezefarm

cedarbreezefarm Member

The vet suggested I try ivermectin or safeguard to worm my does (4) total- who are not responding to the natural product I was using. THe dewormer I have here is safe-guard labeled for equine- I don't know how much to give- does anyone have experience with this??

2. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

I hope someone answers you...I don't use safegaurd. Worms are resistant to it. If you have a severely infested goat, worm with safegaurd 3 times every 5 days. Then use ivermectin or cydectin. The ivomec dose is 1cc/50#. Cydectin is 1cc/22#. You give both orally.

3. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I was under the impression that safequard got pins & tapes, and cydectin & Ivermec plus got everything else. Also rotate of the wormers???

4. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

With the strong resistance, I just don't buy safegaurd. It is my understanding that ivermectin is getting resistance all over now too. I would rotate for sure. Ivomce/cydectin.
    I can't remember on which they all get. I use the latter two and don't seem to have any problems plus get the external one's.

5. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

First do a fecal to see what you need to fight, then you can decide if you go with a clear wormer (like safeguard, fenbendazole, albendazole) or white wormer (vermectin family).
    Some areas are safeguard resistant and ivermectin is going that route too. Goat doses are typically 2x the sheep but in the case of safeguard, my vet even recommends 4x the amount.
    Your equine safeguard is probably a paste -- I have found it easier to give goats liquid wormers. Just my experience.

6. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

safegaurd is white not clear. Ivermectin is clear.