Worming questions

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by frog1437, Jun 3, 2005.

1. frog1437

frog1437 Well-Known Member

I am going to try and worm tomorrow. How to hold the 65 lbs pigs is my question. and where exactly in the neck is that 1 inch pin suppose to go? I picked up some IVOMEC today and thought it might be an easy task.But it is not looking that way........Thanks for your help in advance.........

2. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

to heck with shots and ivomec.....give it orally. 1cc/75#. top dress the feed with it. Works like a charm. Since the hogs are 65#, I would still give 1cc each. It is hard to overdose ivomec.

3. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

Can the pour on Ivermectin that is used for cows be used on pigs? Seems like it would be easier for me to use it that way, and if it can be used what sort of dose per Lb of pig should be used?

Carol K

4. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

Frog,
    Add DE to there feed at a 2% by volume rate & don't use the chemicals, rotate there pasture about once a mth or so & you will have a far better time of it without the chem's in your meat or breeding stock.
    How are the little ones doing by the way?
    Rick

5. frog1437

frog1437 Well-Known Member

I think I will try your method beeman... Pigs are great little boogers grow fast......thanks for the help

6. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

I tried the DE and did not see a difference at all. When we used the ivomec, we had the worms expelled in the stool like 3 days later. Never seen that with the DE

7. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

Buckshot,
    DE is not going to work like a chemical, it works over time, not like a one time deal with the chemicals, You will not notice a large expel of worms all at once with DE, but your animals will not have worms if it is given on a regular basis with there feed, We use it on all our animals & don't ever see any ill signs of worm infestations, We also have few fly problems & really just about no unwanted bugs,
    Chickens, Turkeys, Ducks, Cattle, Hogs, Goats, you name we have it & we never use any chemicals for worming anything & all our animals thrive & are very healthy.

8. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

we tried it over a 6 month period of time. On goats and hogs. I finally decided to go back to ivomec and was glad. I'm glad it works for you.

9. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Have you ever tried worming a couple of your animals to see if they are worm free? I tired DE and went for several months convinced my animals did not have worms.......then I learned how DE works on some insects so I went and tried some wormer because I just wasn't sure....yep lots of worms 2 and three days later....not sold on DE...it does work great as a insecticide when dry and will keep ants ect out of feed barrels...but it needs to be dry since the sharp silica edges of the diatoms cut into the joints of the insect and this dehydrates the bugs....they are at a disadvantage with theie large surface area to volume...i.e. they dry up real easy if nicked.

10. jkfarms

jkfarms New Member

Try coal. I worm my pigs by feeding them free choice stoaker coal. You have to keep enough in the pen so they don't run out! They will eat it like candy for a few days and then stop alltogether, then you know they have had enough. I do this every 3 to 4 months and it has never failed for me.

11. catfishcookin

catfishcookin Active Member

Pour on Cydectin cattle wormer is the absolute best wormer I have found for our hogs. I give them a five-gallon bucket of scraps that they love and while they are gorging themselves and ignoring me, I pour a stripe of purple Cydectin down their backs from their shoulders to their rump. It stays on even through a rain storm and the pigs are never agitated during the process. Four times a year is all I do it and the pigs are very fat and very worm-free. This is not the same chemical that is in Ivometrin.

12. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

Have you used in in the summer and it does fine on the skin?
    We give the goats cydectin orally, but have not tried it on hogs.

13. catfishcookin

catfishcookin Active Member

Yes, I just wormed the hogs a few days ago by pouring it down their spine area while they ate. They are never affected adversely by it.