worming question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by fishhead, Sep 20, 2006.

1. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

I've been wondering if a person were to carefully worm every goat before bringing it to a virgin pasture would that eliminate the need to worm in the future?

2. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

No 1 single worming will not get them all. Worming kills certain stages of the worms or eggs. Hope that makes sense . Best bet would be to worm every 3 weeks for 9 weeks. Are goal is never to kill all of the worms but to get most of the worms. I am not sure if we could even ever get all the worms before we would kill the goat. Also you cannot insure that nothing else would ever enter your pasture.

So worm well and then do fecals. Then turn out on new pasture. Your best bet would be to divid that pasture up into smaller pastures and rotate the goats.

3. TC

TC Well-Known Member

I would think, but just my opinion, that if you carefully worm and wait 24 hours, and then move them to virgin pasture, you would successfully decrease your worm load significantly, but....I doubt you can completely remove worms or the need to worm in the future. If you leave just one egg or one worm in just one goat, you will need to worm again in the future. I have some goats that always seem to carry worms, and some who never do. I try to breed the ones who have a stronger resistance to the worms. In my experience, some might argue with it, but it seems that the higher I pay for a goat, or the more "full-blooded" they are, they are more susceptible to have high worm counts, or have to be wormed all the time. Some of my cheapest goats or goat rescues, never have worms, or very little.