worming pups

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TnMtngirl, Feb 7, 2005.

1. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Dont know if this is the place to post this ? or not but I need help.Have 6 pups that will be 3 weeks old wednesday and I need to give them and the mother worm medication.All I have on hand is piperazine can I use it ?how much?The stuff I have is for cats.each teaspoon contains 250mg piperazine.Mary

2. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Dogs and cats get the same dosage of piperazine, so you can use what ever it says on the directions for cats. You should probably repeat the treatment in every 2-3 weeks until they are weaned. Piperazine only kills roundworms, though, so you may want to get some pyrantel or fenbendazole that will get hookworms also. We use pyrantel (aka Strongid) every other week until weaning starting at about 2 weeks of age.

3. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

Yeah, Piperazine is not good enough, only roundworms. I use Pyrantel at 2,3 & 4 wks. And then Panacur for 3 days at 5 wks (Panacur gets all 4 types of worms plus giardia) Then I start them on liquid Albon for 5 days as a preventative. Worm the mum the day after the pups, not the same day. It's important to get them Pyrantel or Panacure before 3 wks, as hookworms will take them that early if they are a problem.

4. creeklady2000

creeklady2000 Well-Known Member

yes use the pyrantal itis much more effective and you will get more kinds of worms not just ascirids like with the piperzine and worm the mom at the same time as the pups