Worming pigs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Haggis, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

When we bought out piglets they had been wormed, but I was reading something the other day that said pigs should be wormed every 6 weeks.

We will be butchering our pigs in 6 to 8 weeks; what is a good wormer that will have run it's course by the time we butcher?

We have 6 and they are doing great. We bought them at just over 3 weeks old te end of May and now they are eating 100# bag of hog feed every two days. I'm not sure ifwe will be butchering them for the meat or to get them out of our bank account. These guys will weigh 125# to 150# apiece.

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Haggis, as you are probably aware the conversion rate drops as the pigs age. I would consider marketing them about 115 days from the time you received them unless you are expecting a real good price per lb. Do not cut back on the feed however. In so doing they will lose some of the "bloom" that came with the higher gains earlier at a lower price per lb.

3. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Thanks agmantoo.
    We are raising a meat hog for Herself and I, and one for the families of each of our five children; we should have rasied two for each of us.

115 days from when we bought them would put us at about the third week of October. A perfect time for cool weather butchering and a family get-together.

4. lizzyslivestock

lizzyslivestock Member

I worm with Ivermectin injection. It is really easy you administer 1 ml per 75 pounds of pig. It will be out of their system within 4 weeks. The best part is you know exactly how much your pig received vs. a liquid wormer that you add to the water. I have 5 pigs myself and I was never sure if all of them were being wormed or just the one that was the most thirsty at the time. Good luck!!!

Lizzy :1pig:

5. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Haggis, if your pigs were wormed when you got them, they're doing well now and are showing no signs of lice, mange or worms, then I wouldn't bother worming them again. I only ever do my porkers once and that is at weaning which is enough to take them through until they are ready to go into the freezer.

Now, aren't you milking cows? If so, are you feeding them milk. Your feed must be costing a fortune. :eek:

Cheers,
    Ronnie

6. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I only have one cow in milk just now and we're using or selling all of that.

The feed for the 6 pigs is costing us about $6 a day and will go up before they go down.

Thanks for the info on worming them. They are doing great and I can't see anything off about them at all. I read the bit about worming every six weeks and it worried me.

7. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

I don't know if there are any flour mills nearby but that can be a source or cheap feed. We buy flour and cornmeal screenings and mix with COB and soybean meal which is soaked to make a mash. We pay $0.03 for flour and $0.05 for cornmeal screenings.

We also like a larger hog to butcher and wait until our hogs get to 280-325 lbs or so....they get to this weight about 180-200 days after we buy them as feeder pigs (50lbs)....probably costs more per pound but we do like a large chop.....and lots of sausage....and nice boston butt roasts....ect...

We also worm twice...once shortly after we get the hogs and they get settled in and then again 6 weeks later.

8. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

You can give ivermectin orally to swine also at the rate of 1cc/75# Just squirt it on the feed or a treat. In about 3 days you will evidence of worms if they have any.
    We also butcher ours at heavy weights. If the fram can handle it, we got to about 290 or so. Smaller framed hogs get butchered sooner.
    www.geocities.com/gonzalesshowpigs.com