Worming my Wild Hogs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by HogEmAll, Oct 17, 2005.

1. HogEmAll

HogEmAll Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I have 8 wild hogs. When I say wild, I mean they are a feral breed, not domestic. I've had them eversince they were very young, so they're relatively tame. Anyway, when they were still small, I could use injectable Ivomec while my brother held them down for me. However, now they are all about 125-150lbs and it would be difficult to hold them. Also, I'd rather not cause them too much stress.

So, could you please recommend a good wormer? I've heard about wormers that can be added to their drinking water, but I'd rather stay away from that since my hogs tend to tip the water tub over a lot. I've also heard about wormers that can be added to their food, so any info on that would be great. Also, I heard about Pelleted Wormers that you feed to them for 3 days or something.

Basicly, I'm looking for an effective Wormer that I can administer without having to wrestle them to the ground, stick them with needles, or add to their water. If you could provide the names(maybe even brand names), that would be great. And dosage also.

PS: My pigs seem to be happy and healthy, and I haven't noticed any worms in their fecal matter. But I'd like to be sure...call it preventive maintanance. I think they should be gaining weight a little better than they are right now.

Thanks for any info!

Axel

2. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

Ivomec injectable, 1cc/75# top dressed on feed works great for us. In about three days, you will see worms expelled if they have them.

3. HogEmAll

Top Dressed on Feed...this means that I just squirt it on top of the feed in the trough? Give it time to soak in or no? Also, what do these worms look like? How big are they? Easily seen? Sorry for the dumb questions, but I've never done this. Thanks again!

Axel

4. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

that is what that means. It may mean impractical feeding for one day. You may have to separate everyone off somehow so that everyone gets their share. You don't have to give it time to soak. The worms that come out look just like that...big ol' pink worms. You will for sure see them. Plus the ivomec will also take care of any external parasites the same as injecting it.
    This is by far the easiest way of worming hogs I know. Cheap really too. Ther are also feed you can use...like so many pounds per hog...ADM, Moormans, makes a feed. Two of them. One has a 10 week withdrawl though.

5. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi again Hog,
    I continue to use injectable right through the pigs life but I guess this may depend on the relationship you have with your pigs. I wait until they're head down, grits up in their dinner, use a new needle per pig, wack it in and they never miss a beat in their slurping. I prefer this method as I then know that each pig has been done and has got the correct dose for his/her weight. Right from the word go I make a point of rubbing and scratching the area behind their ears so that they become used to it and don't get chary about any untoward handling in that area.

When down at the feed shed this evening I looked out the container of powder that can be added to food - and had forgotten the name of it by the name I had got back to the house. :eek: Duh! This powder does internal and external parasites so is a good broad spectrum wormer. I'll take a pen and paper with me in the morning and write it down for you. I bought it for a boar that hated needles but the sod could smell it in his food and would upend the dish all over the ground. We ended up giving it to him in the dregs of Kevin's home brew - he slept the whole afternoon after drinking it. ;)

Cheers,
    Ronnie

6. HogEmAll

Ok, I was expecting this to take 2 to 3 days, but I went out this evening, 24 hours after their treatment, and noticed lots of large, pink, dead worms in the fresh droppings. Thanks for the help guys!

Axel

7. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

you might repeat in 28 days or so.