worming milk cow and calf...

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Patt, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Patt

Patt Well-Known Member

What wormer do you use for a milk cow? And when do you do your first worming on a calf? Is pour-on OK if it's still with it's mother? (Just worried she might try to lick it off)
    We've had problems with worms this year due to drought and low grass growth. They have plenty of high quality hay but they still want to eat the grass as soon as it comes up a bit. :)

2. linn

linn Well-Known Member Supporter

We bought a pellet wormer especially for diary cows. Make sure that any wormer you buy can be used on dairy cows with no milk withdrawal.

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I would use Cydectin Pour-On. It works great. I normally don't worm my calves till weaning, so its never been a concern for me, but I don't think it would hurt the cow to ingest some of it by licking it off the calf. We have a goat dairy and in the goat world Cydectin gets used as an oral wormer. Same stuff, but rather than pour-on, its given orally. It does a great job that way with goats, so I very much doubt a little is going to hurt the cow. There is no milk withdrawal if you use Cydectin on your cow.

4. Patt

Patt Well-Known Member

Thanks to both of you!