Worming Meds in Manure

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by minnikin1, Jul 28, 2006.

1. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

When you are putting manure on your gardens or pastures, sooner or later it seems like you will get manure from animals that have just be given worming medications - But I can't find any information about this. :help:
    I'm wondering:

If you get manure contaminated with worming meds, how long does it take for meds to break down so it won't harm your earthworms?

Is there anything you can do to accelerate the breakdown of those chemicals, like heat composting, maybe?

How long after worming an animal does it take until their manure is clear again?

Anyone out there have some ideas?

2. mandyh

mandyh Well-Known Member

I have always wormed on a regular schedule. Never seen a problem with the earth worms. The meds are probably depleted by the time they come out the other end. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure, but I was always told you should wait a day before rotating to new pasture, thats for the worms to pass from their system. Most companies have a phone number you can call. Call them and ask.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

The worm medications for cattle have been known to kill the dung beetles in the past. One of the currently available cattle wormers claim to fame it that it does not destroy the dung beetle. I am unaware of the duration the beetle killer wormer remains active

4. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Maybe I'm being Chicken Little here but the manure I've saved for next spring's garden has no horse wormer in it.

Many years ago, after I wormed my horses, I saw tiny white and red dots in their manure that hadn't previously been there. What made me wonder about the whole thing was the horses were eating their manure like they were trying to incorporate the good bacteria back into their systems. Can't even remember what kind of wormer it was, just knew it was the going thing in the early 80's :shrug:

Either way, I don't want chemical wormers in my garden and am willing to wait for the unmedicated horse manure to compost. In the meantime?... bunny poo, with no wormer, will do. :p