Worming medicine ???

Discussion in 'Goats' started by CurtisWilliams, Oct 25, 2005.

1. CurtisWilliams

CurtisWilliams Well-Known Member

North of Omaha, on the banks of the 'Muddy Mo'
    I recently bought two pigmy/dwarf goats. Both are female and have been mated. They are litter mates at 18 month old.

I went to the local vet for worming medicine and advice. He was happy to sell me a 30 ml bottle of wormer for $92.00. The medicine is Oxfendazole 22.5%. He explained the virtues if this particular concoction, and I beleive that it is a quality parasitic for the goats (and rabbits). However, I wonder if this is the best way to manage worms, given the cost. At almost $100, I can buy a lot of ivermec or any other over the counter wormer.

Your thought and experiences please.

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I use Hoeggers herbal wormer. works good and costs alot less than 100.00! I think it is around 30 or so dollars for 2lbs (powder) and is 200 doses per pound. It has good instructions. Some goats don't like the taste, so I mix with molasses. two of my goats hate it so much that I have to mix with molasses and water and drench them, but I dont think that having to to that is all that common. I think im gonna mix it with molasses into little pellets, then coat those pellets with flour, and try that instead of drenching this next time. I also think that goats don't or won't eat powder of any sort, so you have to put some molasses on the food so the wormer sticks to it. Supposedly works better than Ivomectin and is all natural. Safe for preg. does and kids. You can also milk while doe is on this, doesn't effect milk.
    The only downside is the having to top dress the feed, and you have to watch and make sure they eat it all.
    www.thegoatstore.com if you want to check it out.

ps, i have pygmies too!! lol :sing:
    ~Dona

3. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

I agree. To be honest, I cheat. I go to the fridge, take out the wormer (and vacs) that Mom buys every year for her cattle and "borrow" some. No big deal.

4. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

I can get safe-guard..which is the same active ingredient fenbendazole...at a 10% soloution which is a wormer for goats at my local farm store for about $15 for a 125 ml bottle. It is not a perscription only medication. Sometimes the vets are not our best friends....sometimes they will tell you that you can get the same thing for less at the farm store. Much like using Ivomec for dogs as a heartworm preventative..when you have several dogs $60 or so a month on each one for meds gets really pricey.
    I'd suggest trying to find another vet..maybe one that is more livestock friendly as I am guessing yours is more of a pet vet?

5. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

My thoughts...I would not open it and take it back for a refund asap as you have been taken advantage of. First off, you shouldn't worm pregnant goats until after they are bred 50 days or more unless they have such a load of worms that it is detrimental to the life of the goat. If you have to worm them, you can give them Ivermectin 1% injectable orally at the rate of 2cc/100#, then I would get on the Internet go to Jeffers site or Valley Vet and order some Cydectin Cattle Pour on to have on hand to be given orally at the rate of 1cc/25# body weight. OR you could buy a couple of doses from a cattle person or some other goat person that uses it in your area. Is this a brother/sister mating? You normally worm your goats 3 weeks prior to breeding and then again the day they deliver kids.

6. CurtisWilliams

CurtisWilliams Well-Known Member

North of Omaha, on the banks of the 'Muddy Mo'
    Thanks for the advice, everybody. I am going to keep and use this batch of medicine, but will not buy it again. The goats show no signs of worms, this is to be a preventative measure. I have seen signs of worms in one of the rabbits stools, so I wanted to make sure all of the animals are worm free. All the animals are healthy, active, have shiny coats and bright alert eyes. Given this, I dont think worms are a problem, and I want to keep it that way.

I do not know for sure that the goats are pregnant, but they were observed mating at the beginning of Sept. The father to be is unrelated to my girls.