Worming LGD

Discussion in 'Goats' started by nubiannana, Sep 6, 2006.

1. nubiannana

nubiannana Willow Pond Farm

I have a wonderful, huge Great Pyranees. I eats good, but is so thin. What can I use to fatten him up? What kind of a wormer? Maybe it's tapeworms?
    I don't know, but since all this terrible heat, he has just lost so much weight. He seems to feel just fine. And does a wonderful job taking care of the goats. I've only had him since around Spring time, but he has lost weight since then. Any help would be greatly appreicated! Thanks!

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I use Pyrental from the vet, the feedstore type is very weak. I had the vet do a fecal and he found hookworms and roundworms and this is what he reccomended (he is the one who told me to not use the weak feedstore stuff..I checked the strength and it was MUCH diluted).

My Prys usually get thinner in the summer and usually get thinner coats. They do so much running and protecting. However, this summer, despite the record heat, they are fluffy and fat. I have been pouring out gallons of goat milk to them each week and that has brought them into a bloom of health, along with removing the worms. I think the last worming really helped.

I keep a "dog waller" for them, a wet hole for them to dig and lay in. That helps to cool them. Now after the last litter of pups, my momma dog lost her coat which is normal, it has come back, but she is pregnant again and I expect the same.

3. nubiannana

nubiannana Willow Pond Farm

Well, that "dog waller" expains a lot about why mine digs! lol
    What is the name of the wormer the vet suggested? I don't have the goat milk, and all mine gets is dog food. I was told, and can't remember by who, that I should not feed him anything but dog food. No people food, etc. I was planning on giving him goat milk when I have a doe that freshens tho. I certain he needs some kind of a wormer.

4. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

Goat milk is fine to feed him, and kitchen scraps just like any other dog, you just dont want to make him a HOUSE pet, he needs to know his job and his place not come up to the house all the time looking for hand outs,

also RAW diets are good at keeping the right amount of weight on dogs and keeps them healthy, but not everyone can feed a RAW diet for one reason or another,

5. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Pyrental 50 mg/ml

I have a 250 ml bottle of it

Adult does is 1 cc per 5 - 10 lbs of body weight

Puppy dose is 1 cc per 3 lbs

Give every 2 - 4 weeks as needed by mouth

You can call your vet and just ask how much a bottle would cost. I bought this big of a bottle because I have 3 Pyrenees and an Aussie. You would not need but maybe a 50 - 100 ml bottle.

A 100 lb dog would need 10 cc for a big dose.

(you may know this, but 1 cc = 1 ml)

6. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Well-Known Member Supporter

Ask your vet about using fenbendazole (Panacur) for your dog. It gets everything except tapeworms and is very safe. We used the horse preparation (after checking with our vet) for our Silky Terrier show dogs with great success. Also, ask your vet for a wormer for tape worms - they are hard on appetite and condition and it's likely your dog eats rodents (they can get them from fleas or eating rodents directly) while it is out in the field. That should cover the whole gamut of parasites.

I'd think also that you need to be sure the dog food you give your dog is a high quality one. Some of the cheaper ones really don't give a hard working dog nearly enough nutrient. We supplement a high quality food with raw liver, good table scraps (not fried foods or white flours, but whole wheat, brown rice, cooked meats, well cooked vegetables - things that would ADD nutrient to the diet - also some tomato products, sardines, canned salmon, etc for the omega 3 fatty acids).

You are likely on the right track - usually when I find a dog is hard to condition, my first response is a broad spectrum worming and that usually does the trick! (Note that whip worms are wide spread in dogs, but hard to diagnose as they don't drop eggs very often, they are very hard on a dog's digestive tract, weight and coat, that is why we started with the panacur treatments).

~ Carol

7. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

8. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Well-Known Member Supporter

It has been my understanding that fenbendazole is not effective against canine tapeworms. I have studied this pretty carefully - have had a show breeding kennel for 30 years. I noticed that beagle site was sponsored by the company selling the wormer. It may have limited efficacy against one type of canine tapes, but I sure wouldn't count on it against the most common type. My vet, as well as all the literature I've found, recommend using a wormer specific for tapes.

I certainly may be wrong, but I have done quite a bit of research into it and I doubt that tapeworms or fenbendazole have changed since then. :)

~ Carol

9. Bearfootfarm

Heres what it says on the Safeguard label:
    http://www.safe-guard-for-dogs.com/ProductLabel.html

While the first site I posted may be selling it, Safeguard is an OTC drug that can be bought most any place. Panacur is prescription only is the same drug. You Vet may PREFER other drugs, but Safeguard (fenbendazole) is approved for canione tapeworms and is usually cheaper. And since it is also approved fot goats many will already have it on hand.

10. Bella Star

Bella Star LaMancha & Boer

I heard :rolleyes: that you could use Ivermectin but I dont know how much.

11. Bearfootfarm

Ivermectin does not affect tapeworms. Its effective for heartworms and other worms at 1/10th ML per 10 lbs. It can be dangerous to use on Collies and Collie mixes. Ivermectin will also kill mange mites at that dosage. If you are only concerned with heartworms you could use much less. I use it once a month on my 4 dogs, and then use Safeguard if they get tapeworms and it has worked well so far. The Safeguard (10% solution) dosage is 1 ML per 5 lbs

12. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Be sure not to use ivermectin for heartworms unless you have had a test to show that the dog is not already infected with heartworms. You need the all clear from the vet.

13. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

I would like to share the latest study on heartworm and ivermec (and other spellings of the same thing)

New train of thought....

give dog heart worm medicine even if the dog has heartworm. the idea behind this is it shortens the life of the heart worm which usually living several years to about 9 months. In its weakened state, its ability to reproduce is greatly reduced as well as having offspring that is unhealthy. so the cycle of unhealthy and shortened lifespan of the heart worm eventually dies out and because of the continued use of ivomec prevents the heart worm from getting another foothold.

14. Bearfootfarm

There are medications that can be used if the dog already has heartworms. But Ivomec isnt one of them. If the worms die too quickly they can clog the dogs heart or cause infections internally

Ivomec is a heartworm PREVENTATIVE.
    http://www.vetinfo.com/dencyclopedia/dehwtreat.html

15. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I agree with Bearfootfarm. :)

16. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I like worming with Pyrentel because the dogs actually like the taste. My dogs hate the taste of panacur......Pyrentel does a good job.