Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about worming my cows . The feed mill said it won't do any good this time of year because all the internal parasites are dormant,embeded in the tissues of the cows and it won't kill them.He said I sould wait till spring right before the cows go to pasture and the worms are becoming active.Has anyone else heard of this?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Are your cows dormant? If not then the population of nasties inside them are happy and thriving. During winter you will also see a increase in the external bugs too. this is due to the longer hair.
I would recomend as I did below Cydectin. Great internal and external parisite control. If you only have a few cows contact your vet and get a couple of doses for them now. Then retreat when they get turned out on pasture.
Bob

·
Registered
827 Posts
I'd go ahead and worm them. If they have a worm load it will still be active. The only ones that are dormant are the ones outside in the soil.

Pour-ons don't do a lot for internal pests. If your cows are in good condition, go ahead and use a pour-on, but if they are thinner or showing any wormy symptoms use an injectable or oral medication. Mature cows usually develop a resistance to most worms, but young, old or stressed animals can suffer from them.

We use pour-ons for the majority of the cow herd. If we have an animal that is thinner, shows a bit of a bottle jaw or just doesn't seem to be doing as well as the rest we give them a shot of injectable ivermectin. This has worked well for us, the animals that really need the medication get it, and we aren't wasting a bunch on cows that don't need it. Have seen some cows really pick up after being treated.

·
Udderly Happy!
2,866 Posts
My veterinarian advises all his clients to worm twice a year. (New Year's and 4th of July)

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
I usually just worm in the spring before I put them on a clean pasture, but this year I wormed in late fall too, because I wasn't able to move them around to clean pastures. The spring floods took the fence on my second pasture and I couldn't move them.
I bought a generic brand of Ivermectin this time, it was a third of the price, has anyone else used anything other than a name brand of wormer ?? I liked the way it went on, it didn't have the petroleum base that Cydecyin has, smelled like alcahol instead.
P.J.

·
Joy
2,569 Posts
We use Ivermax from American Livestock and have been very pleased with it. It is a generic ivermectin pour-on. They also have good prices on vaccines & some antibiotics.

-Joy

·
Kathy
880 Posts
I worm twice a year also as in the winter they get winter lice and the worms are still there. I have used they genetric also and it works just fine.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ok I'll be the 'cog' in the wheel :) I don't worm my adult cows unless the fecal tests show an abnormally large worm load or there is some other stresser, like a bout of corona virus. I know a couple of large beef producers who also take random fecal samples of their herds and use that information to decide when and if to worm. They find that they don't have to do it as often and it is cheaper for them. L

1 - 8 of 8 Posts