worming bucks

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Al. Countryboy, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

My buck has just come back from a five week stay at a friends. She had seven does that needed bred. She doesn't have much pasture, but seems to feed good. He has lost weight. I don't know if it is from changing his diet or from having so much fun. I am wondering if this change will cause worms to flare up? Should I worm him? He was wormed in the fall just before breeding season started. He is eating good and feels good, but wondered what you do after a buck comes home? It was only a 30 min. drive away.

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I always worm the boys when they come home from extended dating. I try to bathe them if I can, if not they get sevin dust dusted through their hair, I trim their feet short so they aren't carrying any worm larve, and worm them...leave them in the worming pen overnight, then it's back to the buckpens. You don't want worm eggs from other farms, or lice, mites or nosebots..especially overwintering in your bucks or bedding!

I don't care who the person is, how far they are from me, it's all part of biosecurity that you should be practicing. I do have one farm that I travel with to shows, I figure what he has I have and vice versa, but the rest of you are suspect ;) Vicki

3. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

Just as I thought and then some. He probably will stay home and do less courting next year.