Worming and pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by jwcinpk, Jan 2, 2005.

1. jwcinpk

jwcinpk Well-Known Member

How soon after kidding is it safe to resume worming? How soon do you worm kids?

How far into pregnancy would it be safe to worm?

What to use? Ivomec, Cydectin, Safeguard?

Seems cydectin is the harshest so would it be safe for pregnant does and young kids?

2. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

I usually worm the day the doe kid and have wormed during pregnancy. I use Ivomec 1% injectable orally at the rate of 1cc per 50 lbs.. hope this helps..

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

How soon after kidding is it safe to resume worming? How soon do you worm kids?

It is never safe to not worm if the doe has a large worm burden. It's best to worm before she is bred, then only worm during pregnancy when a fecal sample shows you need to worm. Like Stacy I also worm the doe the day she kids, period...the hormones that cause labor also signal worms in the does body that there is something wrong, awakening sleeping worms called arrested larve, a doe can die if these are of the blood sucking variety.

I start my kids at 3 weeks old, using Valbazen 1cc per 10 pounds, tapes are a concern for us here in the south, a belly full of tapes can lead to enterotoxemia. They are wormed every 21 days, then at 12 weeks old they are wormed with Cydectin. Wormings from that point forward are done on fecal.

How far into pregnancy would it be safe to worm?

It's unsafe to use any wormer, any antibiotic, including herbs, during the implantation period 7 to 11 days, then comes the long bone formation period in which you can have problems, so..it's simply safer not to use anything or change much at all in the does diet the first 50 days (trimester).

What to use? Ivomec, Cydectin, Safeguard? What works at your place? Here Safeguard is worthless....Ivomectin works well at 1cc per 50 pounds given orally on all worms here, except tape or hemoncous. Since hemoncous worms are the blood sucking killers here we use Cydectin 1cc per 25 pounds given orally.

Seems cydectin is the harshest so would it be safe for pregnant does and young kids?

It's only harsh if it doesn't work, actually the broadest specturm killing the most worms, which is pretty darn harsh for the worms :) is Synathic and Valbazen....if they work in your area still. Vicki

4. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Be careful with Ivermectin if you have blue merle Aussies. We plan to worm after kidding this year also.

5. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

Just have to comment on the blue merle aussies thing. The ivermectin has nothing to do specifically with this color variety. Ivermectin is deadly to the collie breed - even dogs that lick off a tube of dewormer have died shortly, or take one out of the garbage for a chew toy. They also classify into the "collie family" any breed of dog with a white color - border collies, australian shepherds (aussies), collies, shelties, sheepdogs. But ivermectin can be used safely in other breeds for deworming, as that is what kills/prevents heartworms. Sorry to sabatage this topic, but this was incorrect info.