worming again

Discussion in 'Goats' started by susanne, Jan 3, 2005.

1. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

my goats are in the barn over the winter. if i need to worm them how do i prevent reinfestation? is there something i could put on the bedding to prevent reinvestation? i don't have another place to put them.
    susanne

2. Sondra

Sondra Guest

Putting DE and Lime down (both have to be food grade/agricultural) will help but really the answer is NO.
    Why are the put up in the barn (just asking) because goats do well in the winter outside. They just need some place to go to stay out of the rain and blowing winds but otherwise they are ok outside.
    Sondra Peterson
    Azle, TX

3. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

Not in this part of Idaho where we can have up to 5' feet of snow on the flat ground and it hits -40 below :) I should add though, that mine were just last week moved into the barns....that was because the storms had gotten so bad that they wouldn't come out to eat and the snow was up to their chests in spots!

I don't really worry about pooped out worms because poop freezes really fast around here!

Tracy

4. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i got my goats before i was able to fence the future paddock, and also we had a lot of snow and temps around -24 C . everything was froozen even in the barn.
    so maybe i don't need to be worry about worms then. how long do they past worm eggs after worming?
    susanne

5. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

According to my vet, most worms (not all) have a cycle of life that involves plants. He didn't think I needed to worry a lot about worming until spring.

I also read somewhere that the best way to worm a goat is orally--gets the intestinal type worms better.

6. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I worm in the winter months. and i am getting ready to worm now. I want to worm 6 weeks before my kidding season starts. just a good thing to do. and no I do not use a herbal wormer. I don't want to cover the worms, i want to kill them. and I don't want to drink the wormer, which is what you are doing if you use a herbal wormer, that you use once a week. who ever told you that you don't have to worm in the winter is nuts. please don't do that to your animals. have fecals done, and worm. best to be safe than sorry.

7. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

All of that would be fine if your goats where only pooping out in the -24 degree weather, but if they are pooping in the warm barn bedding, the larve and eggs in the poop are living all winter in there. Picked up on the feet, then the gal stands on the feeder or walks in the hay, littermates pick it up in their mouth. Or..you spread this manure soaked bedding out on your newly coming up grass, imagine the millions of worm eggs and larve you are spreading!

A friend of mine uses a manure spreader, it is filled with the barn cleanings weekly and then when full is spread out on pasture...very pretty place, the prettiest grass you have ever seen, but durn can you even imagine the infesteation in that pasture? Nope I will take my woods anyday, worms can't walk!

Compost, or spread bedding on frozen ground.

Go into bedding and frozen winter with clean does, who have been wormed with something like Ivermectin that kills arrested larve, and don't let them poop for 12 hours in the barn after worming, let them poop out in that frozen tundra, the only thing that will really kill those worms!

Remember wormer does not kill worms, the worms, eggs and larve abandon ship. Vicki