Wormer questions..

Discussion in 'Goats' started by No Regrets Farm, Jun 9, 2004.

1. No Regrets Farm

No Regrets Farm Well-Known Member

My vet told me that I should put my goats on a rotation worming program similar to my horses. He was far from helpful on dosages though.

I was told that I can use ivermectin paste wormer, but he was unclear as to how much. He was telling me to figure out how much is in liquid ivermectin and see the horse dosages then transfer that to paste dosage and blah blah blah....Anyway, I got lost. How much do you use when you worm with ivermectin paste? He also said to rotate with Safeguard and panacur. What dosage rates do you use on those? Is it the same according to body weight whether is a doe, buck, wether, or babies? I have all of the above ; )

Thanks,
    Cindy

2. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

Hi cindy, I think that over on goatweb they have a lot of the dosage amounts for these types of wormer...I want to say that it is posted in the vet clinic area. I wish i knew but hope that helps.

Belinda

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

Diatomaceous Earth (a teaspoon per day sprinkled into the feed during warm weather) has worked for me for years to organically control both worms and flies. The vet didn't believe me but found no worms in any stool.

4. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Where do you buy your DE? Is it food grade?

5. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

The paste wormer is 3x the dose.If you have a 100lb. goat its dose would be for 300lb. If its 50lb. then it would be 150 lb.dose and ect.
    you can go to www.newrossvet.com and look under sheep&goat for some good info on worming.

6. No Regrets Farm

No Regrets Farm Well-Known Member

Great! Thanks for the help : )

Cindy

7. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

There's no local source for me to buy DE, I mail ordered it from Welter Seed and Honey I think was the name. It was like 2-3 years ago and I've only gone through 1/3 of a 50 pound bag

8. #1 DogMom

#1 DogMom Well-Known Member

I would like to suggest Hoeggers Herbal Wormer and DE together. I have had my girls on this for the last five years and they are doing great. When I first started them on this program I was having fecals done twice a year by my vet. Once before kidding and once before breeding. It seems that most vets are really amazed when you tell them you are using something "natural". AND I never have to worry about dumping my girls' hard earned milk OR using something toxic that can harm their babies. (Valbazen can cause serious problems if given to pregnant does.) Their website is
    www.hoeggergoatsupply.com The Hoeggers have been raising goats for 69 years. Those are numbers that I trust. Hope this helps. :D

9. robmiap

robmiap Member

I was just getting ready to put in an order to them for the first time, and am going to try their herbal wormer. Have you tried their goat serum? thanks Mia

10. #1 DogMom

#1 DogMom Well-Known Member

Yes, I have used the goat serum concentrate. It really is a miracle in a bottle as it claims. I've used it on my minutes old kids and my milking girls. I love it and will never be without it. Since using it on the kids, we have never lost one. We don't let the kids nurse the moms, ever, so we can keep a CAE free herd. But they do get moms colostrum and milk until 3 mos. old. With the Goat Serum Concentrate we are sure that they are getting ALL the antibodies that they need. Once you use it I think that you'll find it the same. And it's all natural and can be used in accordance with a certified organic program. GREAT STUFF thanks for giving me the opportunity to share about it. :D

Leanna