wormer on feed?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by hrc8713, Sep 26, 2006.

1. hrc8713

hrc8713 Active Member

I have several goats, sheep and Llamas that all pasture together. I need to worm them, most I can catch. But the Llamas are a chore!

Having hurt my back, legs,toes.. :) last time, so I was wondering if anyone knows of how/what kind of wormer I could put on sweet feed to worm them? I have heard of doing something similar with Ivermectin, but not been able to find out how.

Thanks for any suggestions

Hank

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

You can get Safeguard in alfalfa pellets or as a powder for top dressing feed. It comes in 2 strengths. Its sold as a horse wormer called "Equi-Bits" Youd have to feed them seperately to make sure they got the full dose and youll need to know their weights to figure dosage. Ivomec can also be mixed with feed but it has a bitter taste so I dont know if they would eat it all

3. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Problem with on feed wormer is you never know how much each is getting. I have heard that llamas should be wormed monthly with ivermectin injectable due to brain worm.

Patty

4. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i have 17 brush goats, and worm quarterly.

it may not be the right way, but what i do is guesstimate the total weight of all the goats. then i figure about half again as much ivermectin (injectable but used orally) it would take for that many goats. i mix it (very well) into their usual grain ration, and feed in the usual way. been doing it about 10 years now.

it seems to be working. they all seem very healthy.

5. hrc8713

hrc8713 Active Member

Marvella, could you give me a little more detail on how you do the gain and Ivermec? Your way would really help me, especially with the Llamas, but would be great with the goats too!

6. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

well, i usually measure out their feed in one of those handy red plastic folgers cans. i put a little in, draw up the ivermectin and squirt it on the grains and mix it up. then put some more grain in, squirt on medicine, mix some more. repeat until can is full. i then pour it out in the troughs as usual, and they fight and shove over it as usual. i do it again a week later.

they look pretty healthy, good weight and shiny coats, healthy babies, so i figure i must be doing something right.