wormer for cats

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by okiemom, Jun 8, 2005.

1. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

hi,

i am needing a schedual for worming and vaccinating our barn cat/s. where would I find what to give them and when?

I need a wormer for a nursing mother.Can I use Ivemec? Thanks katharine

2. airotciv

airotciv Well-Known Member Supporter

First off I would check with a Vet on the when to give vaccinations. As for worming, I don't think there is anything to give to a nursing mother. After weaning the kittens is the time to worm her. Most wormers are for kittens 6 weeks or older. I use Praziquantl (sp?) for tape worms and Pipeazine for roundworms. Never really had a problem except once with round worms, seems to be mostly tape worm around here.

3. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

Just let them be cats. Other than that, if you can't do that --- buy a bottle of generic Ivermectin from someone like Valley Vet, spread it on their back (1cc for each 22 pounds), AND relax.

4. Nan(TX)

Nan(TX) Well-Known Member

I thought that Ivermectin was lethal for cats, or am I confusing it was some other drug?

5. OD

OD Well-Known Member

I use Revolution on my cat. It kills internal as well as external parasites. Works great. His hair stays so slick that he's hard to hold on to.

6. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Nope, not lethal. Not typically used for general deworming in cats, though. For roundwormss Pyrantel works well. Worm them on the same schedule as the kittens (2, 4, and 6 weeks). Then deworm every few months. The dosage is about 10-20 mg/pound. Most barn cats are about 8 pounds (some toms are much bigger).

7. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

Could you explain why Ivomec isn't normally used?
    What dose would be safe?

8. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

ONLY because the manufactuers couldn't or wouldn't pay millions to get it labeled for non-target species. BUT, these other folks are giving you GREAT advice too --- your call when ya love a critter. Good luck and best wishes.

9. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

Good point Sneaky. I forget sometimes!

10. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Actually I can't tell you why Ivomec isn't normally used-I really don't know why (Sneaky is probably at least partially right-it just hasn't really been studied because of $$$)! I can't give you a safe dosage either-I just have an old copy of the Veterinary Drug Handbook at home and there are no ivermectin dosages in that edition. I know the new one at work has a dosage for something for cats in it. I'll try to check Friday when I'm at work again.