Worm Problem???

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Ellie5, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

I have a 6 month old doe that I bought back in November. This goat is very active, (spoiled rotten!), and healthy looking, with the possible exception of her coat, which from day one has been "course". She is not shedding her winter coat yet so I am not sure what her spring coat will be like. Her gums, from day one, have been pale pink-from the FAMACHA chart this indicates worms.

I wormed her with safeguard upon receipt & then again in December. In January I wormed her with Ivermec, then again 10 days later. How long would it take for her gums to darken up to the normal color? Should I be concerned at this point? I have been giving her small amounts of molasses, oatmeal, and free choice vitamins just to boost the iron intake. My next vet visit is not scheduled till June, and although I have a microscope I cant quite identify what I'm seeing under the scope.

Any suggestions? should I just break down & go to the vet with a fecal? My other goats have darker lids.

Ellie

2. xbeeman412

xbeeman412 Well-Known Member

Cydectyn,Cydectyn,Cydectyn!

Yes You need to worm again and soon. The Cydectyn works on goats when used oraly at a rate of around 1cc for 20 0r 25 pounds. We used Synanthic oraly this winter here in Tx and the results are TERRIBLE! We have had 3 does come down with swollen jaws overnight and we have wormed every 4 to 6 weeks. The Swollen jaws are a sign of a HEAVY worm load.

God Bless.

3. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

Thanks Charles. I'm looking for somewhere to order Cydectyn right now. This is my favorite goat & don't want anything to happen to her. She is just like a pet dog!

4. xbeeman412

Dont think that You will be able to order small amounts of it. You may need to find someone that uses it in Your area and get some from them. Where are You located?

Here is a link to where You can order it online.

http://www.valleyvet.com/index.html?

Atwoods carries it in some stores as well. Tractor supply doesnt. The Stilwell Oklahoma Coop keeps it in stock as well.

God Bless and call if I can help 409 789 2839.

5. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

Thanks again. I had already ordered it when I saw your next e-mail. I have a small herd so I hope I just didn't waste my money too much. The smallest Jeffers had was 500 ml bottle for 50+. I hope this stuff doesn't have an expiration date!! Oh well, the important thing is I will have it by this weekend. How long do you think before her gums start showing dark pink again?

6. windyhollowfarm

windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

If this were my doe I would have a fecal taken to the vet instead of over deworming her again and again. That way you know what you are dealing with.

7. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

I feel a bit uneasy when dewormers are frequently used without doing a fecal test first. It's kind of like fishing for the correct antibiotic when the bacteria has not been identified. Perhaps this is how resistance begins. A fecal test is not very expensive considering the cost of dewormers, etc. and then you will know what you are dealing with. I only do deworming the day after kidding and just before breeding without having a fecal test done. In your case it isn't in regard to kidding or breeding but the her coat texture. Could the coarseness be also due to lice? When I deworm, I also treat with RedCell to counteract the loss of blood/iron from the parasites feasting. RedCell will also improve the coat as well as do black oil sunflower seeds. I give from 10 - 12cc. of the RedCell and repeat as I feel necessary. Hope this gives you another perspective.

Nappy

8. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

Danielle from W/H - we must have been reading minds. You were posting while I was composing my message which is just about the same as yours.

Nappy

9. KindredCanuck

KindredCanuck In Remembrance

http://www.fiascofarm.com/goats/index.htm

This site provides a multitude of information on all aspects of goat keeping, health and husbandry: feeding, medications, wormers & worming, natural, herbal & holistic health care, breeding, kidding, milking; links to other goat related sites and much, much more.

KC~

10. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

Okay, I'll get a fecal done just to make sure.

But I'm still wondering how long it would take for the eyelids to get dark pink? She may be fine, (and the fecal will tell, of course), but I was kinda thinking that they would have darkened up by now. I do give black sunflower seeds mixed in with her grain (I grain once a day, along with free feed hay, and just starting on pasture, 1/2 hour a day). She's had the sunflower seeds since about mid December, and no improvement in the "course" coat. There are no lice on any of my goats.

My other goats have the dark pink eyelids so I'm just wondering if it takes a long time for the color to return? Is this just one of those questions that there are too many "ifs" to?

Thanks,
    Ellie

11. xbeeman412

The color may not return for a while but I can tell You from experince that cydectin WORKS when all others dont. We raise goats comercially and have a farm here in Tx and Oklahoma and have found cydectin to be THE BEST wormer so far.

The best of success to You in Your endevors.

God Bless.

PS:Most vets wont be able to give You a accurate accessment of the type and number of worms with a simple fecal. I have a microscope and do our own!