Worm Help Please!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Balancedmom2003, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Balancedmom2003

Balancedmom2003 Well-Known Member

I put two new cups of worms in my bin yesterday (I made the bins from the plans on the site posted by Shrek). They have been escaping during the night. I have lost 4 worms because they got out and dried out overnight(they all seem to be headed back inside to get warm). I had them sitting by the back door and there is a very cold draft there. I moved them back inside some but can you tell me how cold/warm I should keep them? I have a slightly small place and I heat with electric, I normally keep the temp set at 70.

Thanks in advance!

Michele

2. Strange Bear

Strange Bear Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that if you leave a light on the worms will stay in the boxes. They hate the light. Mine are in my barn with a bunch of straw as insulation. I will see in spring how they have faired. Good luck with yours.

3. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

You need a worm wrangler.

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Yes keep alight on over them until they settle in, and find out what they are trying to escape; bad Ph? Vibration from running freezer? Wrong temps?Too wet?

5. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

I use a 18 inch flourescent UV growlight laid across the top of the bin as a containment light, but just leaving the light on in the room will do.

6. Balancedmom2003

Balancedmom2003 Well-Known Member

Thank you for all of the help. Since I moved them away from the door area they have not tried to escape. I will put my growlight over them tonight to make sure that they don't escape again. Thanks for the advice.

Michele