Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Eaten after dying and eaten while dying are two very different things.

If the guy died and then the bear found him, it's really not such a big deal at all. He'll just "decompose" in a less standard manner, what's left of him, that is. Sounds like the bear was just browsing and happened upon what would have likely been an easy meal, no fight, no resistance.

Now if the bear killed the guy while in the process of eating him, that wouldn't be a good thing at all. Would make a muslim beheading look pretty tame. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

·
Super Moderator
13,673 Posts
Actually corpses don't become worm food that fast. First come the scavengers, then the soldier flies and their larvae then the hissing beetles and months later some varieties of grub worms.

I discovered this the hard way when I buried a bloated deer carcass in one of my outdoor worm beds near where it had dropped dead and had to deal with possums, buzzards and then flies in swarms disturbing the bed but my composting worms never made it back to that end of the bed until after the beetles had cleaned the bones and I dug the skull out of it to give to a neighbor as a wall hanging.

·
Premium Member
4,577 Posts
I'm very sorry the man died.

I was reading the article and this caught my attention:

"The bear does not pose a public threat," the paper quoted Andrew Hughan, spokesman for the California Department of Fish and Wildlife, as saying.

"It was just doing what bears do."

Officials tried to trap and kill the bear but called off their attempt because it appeared doubtful the bear was still in the area of the man's home in Redway, CBS said.
What "officials"? Official idiots? Why would they want to kill it when it does not pose a threat? :indif:

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm very sorry the man died.

I was reading the article and this caught my attention:

What "officials"? Official idiots? Why would they want to kill it when it does not pose a threat? :indif:
Well if you read up a bit on the history of man-eating predators from the Lions of Tsavo the leopard of Rudraprayag or many others they have often learned to man eat from picking up dead people and getting habituated to it and losing the fear of man.

I understand your sentiment but if this bruin goes from eating dead bodies he found lying in the house, to live ones he found lying in sleeping bags there would be a big problem. It is bear season right now and I don't expect the bear to last long. The officials are the fish and game wardens who will get second-guessed and sued no matter what decision they make, so they make decisions based upon policy and calculated risk, and hopefully no one gets any more eaten than they already are. It's not about revenge, but rather a safer community.

·
Registered
10,902 Posts
If he died in NYC he'd have been eaten by rats. To be honest, we are all worm food. I feel sorry for the people who found the body. Not a pretty sight.

Reactions: DAVID In Wisconsin

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
An elderly man who was said to live off the grid died outside his rural trailer home, and his corpse was eaten by a bear.
Worm food, bear food - what's the difference?

Depends on who will be eating the bear. I think if I was a hunter right now and killed that bear for food, if I cut it open and found human remains inside it I wouldn't want to eat the bear.

Worms wouldn't care about eating the bear though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts