Worm farming?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sullen, Aug 2, 2005.

1. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Mt DH and kids want to start "raising" worms, anyone suggest good materials for this? Reputable books that will educate, not sell me something? I think it's a good thing they can do together. Goodness knows we have enough room for it.
    Thanks!

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Believe it or not try the public liabrary for books,On raising worms.Also there is a large demand for them ,Depending where you live ,The sales might be to bait shops where theres fishermaen theres a need for bait.

3. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if anyone here has the European Night Crawlers and if their as good as the hype?
    I'm mostly looking for efficiency as food for animals and fish but the red wigglers are so small I thought they might be a problem sifting out. Also the idea of selling them as bait might just bring in a few dollars.
    Also interested in survival type feed for them I suppose just compost of any kind will work right? Though cornmeal shouldnt be to hard, do they have to have fats as well?
    Oh and one more thing will the European crawlers work in an under the rabbit cage bin like in this article or would it be to rich for them?

http://www.motherearthnews.com/library/1972_May_June/Grow_It__Earthworms

4. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I started my worm ranch in 1996 for under $20.

I host a worm farming and vermiculture message board at

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wormturns/

Here is a decent bin construction site

http://www.whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/compost/Easywormbin.htm

You can contact me here on HT via private message or on Singletree board. I also can be reached through yahoo messenger I.D. jayblair678

A good beginners text is "Worms Eat My Garbage" by the late Mary Appelhof. Many public libraries have a copy.

5. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Well-Known Member

6. diamondtim

diamondtim Well-Known Member

I know you can do this yourself using information from the above posts. If, however, you are looking for more assistance, try contacting UNCO Industries in Racine , WI. Their website is www.vermiculture.com

I worked with them professionally (sold them freight service) and they are good people to work with.

Just another option to look at.

Share the Love,

Diamondtim

7. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I am more interested in redworms for several reasons including the fact they multiply rapidly and can compost food wates. They also are excellent fishing bait for such things as trout or catfish, perch and bass or crappie.
    Redworms also are excellent bird or poultry feed supplement for protein.
    The African crawlers I know little about, except they aren't as big as the large Canadian 'deworm' jumbo Nightcrawlers that fishermen seek. These are kept cool as opposed to the warmer conditions of redworms. Nightcrawlers wouldn't propagate as fast and are harder to keep generally.
    I would go look for nightcrawers in the natrual environment or golf courses to harvest numbers, and then you don't have to bother feeding or raising them.

8. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

THANKS EVERYBODY!!! :goodjob: