Worm Clear

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Starlighthill, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Starlighthill

Starlighthill Northern Michigan

Has anyone tried this homeopathic worm treatment? I see Hoegger offers it.
    Starlighthill

2. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

Worm Clear isn't listed in Hoeggers 2005 catalog but I see that it is listed online. I would be most interested to hear of someone else using it successfully. Tomorrow I'll be deworming the herd with Panacur (same as Safeguard) but would prefer to use an effective "natural" product. I'm concerned about the withdrawal times for the chemical dewormers. Thanks for bringing Worm Clear to our attention.

Nappy

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Nappy, unless you are worming for tapeworms, in which you have to use Safeguard/Panacur 3 days in a row...worming adult goats with Fendbendazole is a waste of money. Worm them with something that works. Cydectin 1cc per 22 pounds given orally. I simply don't see the logic in using a wormer that has such wide spread resistance due to the overuse and underdose of TBZ wormer for years.

There are few places in the country with higher worm burdens than the gulf coast, yet I worm at the most 3 times a year. Yet, it's more 'natural' to herablly worm your goats every week or month? Even herbs, given in dosages to make the intestines and stomachs so inhospitable for the worms to stay, has to be filtered through the liver. I do not want to do this weekly with my stock. What's the milk withdrawal with this?

Make sure information of this sort is given to you by folks who fecal before and after the use. If they don't have the same worm problems as you do, and the wormer doesn't kill those worms, the information is worthless. Make sure also the information comes from a reliable source. The other worm study in Hoeggers came from a science fair project, it also was not tested against any worms that are a problem in my area. Haemoncus worms kill stock, ruin milk production while you are getting their bloodlevels back up after a large worm burden, and you certainly can't breed them until after their bloodlevel is back up) It also says it is better than worming with Ivermectin (Ivermectin that was not dosed correctly (not given orally) or at the right dose, for worms that Ivermectin is not listed as touching).

Make sure you are not comparing apples and oranges. Vicki

4. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

In our area the vets that we have used for fecal testing have all recommended using fenbendazole for strongyles, the parasite that effects our goat herd.

Nappy

5. Starlighthill

I'm intrigued by the Worm Clear because it is homeopathic and therefore should have no ill effects for goats or humans...but does it work and on what types of parasites?
    Starlighthill

6. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

I agree with Vickie totally...I too have used homeopathic things on myself and regretted it terribly with gi upset, headaches what ever. Just because it is "natural" doesn't make it good for you. I had a lady send me pictures of her goats that were wormed "homeopathically". Good grief. I sure wouldn't be sending pictures of those goats to people...

Safegaurd is a huge waste of money. If you have a bottle jaw situation, you might use it one time every five days for 15 days for a partial kill as not to have a heavy kill and cause internal bleeding. But cydectin given orally is the only thing to show no resistance as of yet to my understanding. There is no withdrawl in cattle. A goat's metabolism is twice as fast...so it would be even less in a goat.

I use the same dosage as Vickie with our cydectin. I live in an arid area and only worm 1 or 2x year. If someone looks like they need it, they get it.

7. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Homeopathic and herbal remedies are two entirely different things. Homeopathics use such infintely small amounts of a substance that they would be very unlikely to cause gi upset. Herbs are much more likely to cause a reaction.

There just would not be enough of a substance to cause a problem in the milk or meat of an animal treated homeopathically. Now, I have no idea if the meds would actually treat the worms successfully or not. But a true homeopathic remedy would not cause any problems for a human who injested them.

8. Starlighthill

I spoke with a rep at Hoegger and was told that the homeopathic treatment, Worm Clear, is a shotgun approach containing various remedies all aimed at ridding the animal of parasites. It was developed for horses. Although I'd have liked to give it a go, it would be too pricey to treat all my animals.
    Starlighthill