Worm butchering goats?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by pjd, Jan 15, 2005.

1. pjd

pjd Well-Known Member

I have got two boar cross 9 month old wethers to butcher. These are my first goats and my husband went to pick them up and the seller told him to worm them and wait 30 days to butcher. He could not remember the exact name of the wormer but said it was one of my poultry wormers, either piperazine or Ivomec? I tried searching this site for worming info and was confused. Does anyone have any suggestions on what medications I need to give them and how long to wait before butchering? I live in NE Oklahoma. Thanks for your help!

edited: As an answer below pointed out, do I need to worm them? I wanted to butcher them in two to three weeks at the latest. So do I need to worm?

2. Kshobbit

Kshobbit Well-Known Member

I don't give piperazine to my goats as it is not very effective in this part of the country. Ivermec is a good dewormer but you need to wait 45 days before you butcher. I think Safeguard is a good dewormer too and the wait is about 3 weeks. Hope this helps you.

3. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Guess I am real dumb but am wondering if it is necessary to worm them if you are going to butcher them right away. Other wise yes you have to wait after worming and Ivometic is used on goats in some areas.
    www.fiascofarm.com has a whole list of wormers both chemical and natural and it will tell you the exact waiting time

4. pjd

pjd Well-Known Member

I was wondering that too. They look fine and she worms them. If I butcher them in two weeks, do I need to worm at all?

5. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

personally I wouldn't but thats me
    We butchered 2 goats a while back one was over a year who hadn't been wormed in the last 3 mo prior and the other was a 2mo old buck who had never been wormed. personally I never worm unless I have done fecal checks first and they need it.

6. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Unless they have a problem, I wouldn't think you would need to. From what I read most goats have worms naturally, they build up a resistants to them unless they are overloaded or unhealthy.
    "To check for a worm overload you can check their lower eyelid and if the tissue is the color of the skin under your thumb your goats do not need wormed."