Worm bins?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Wisconsin Lisa, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Wisconsin Lisa

Wisconsin Lisa Active Member

I'm looking for more info on these. Looks like Annie and I will be moving in a couple months to our land (90 acres) and want to get some things started now. Worm bins are an interesting thought, but I've never had them and don't know the first thing about them. Help please?

2. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

My animals have watering troughs and there are all kinds of worms for fishing in the soil due to the dampness, makes it easier than trying to put them in a bin and work with them, but that way you will have good castings for your plants. Years ago I had them, and would put old coffee grounds, corn meal, veggie peelings,etc. in the bins and I sold them to fisherman.We wanted a catchy name so we put vitamins my aunt had sent that tasted awful and called ours Ramsey"s Vitafed Worms. I used moss off the trees to put on the top of the cups and they kept well for the guys.Had a good laugh when one guy said his wife's garter broke,. so he just tied one of our worms around her stocking and it held up all day. Lots of good memories, from a while back. :) One of my neighbors had a big square box, had a screen door attached to the top, just lifted it up to feed or take out worms. I thought it was a good idea.

3. Elffriend

Elffriend Well-Known Member

Check your local library for a copy of "Worms Eat My Garbage" by Mary Appelhof. We set up a small bin a few years ago, sort of as a science experiment for the kids. It works really well.

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Check the archives at 'countryside', there is a vermicultural section near the bottom with a lot of worm info.

5. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

6. CurrentWave

CurrentWave ~ Country Dreaming ~