Worm beds under cages

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by lasgsd, Aug 9, 2004.

1. lasgsd

lasgsd Well-Known Member

We are increasing our herd and putting up a new building. I'm just starting to look into putting worm beds under the cages. I mostly want the worms to handle the manure - I'm not looking to sell worms or anything else. I have the worms part down - there's a worm farm about 10 minutes from our house!

But it's the logistics of the beds that has me confused. I've read alot of differing opinions on how to and what to. Anyone want to give me first-hand info??

Thanks!

Lauri S.

2. JB

JB Member

Lauri
    Normally, you wouldn't need to do much but toss in the worms and keep the manure moist. But being in WI, you have a freeze problem and to keep the worms alive, they must be able to travel deep which also eliminates above ground beds. So, sounds to me like you'll have to dig out an area under the cages and below the frost line, fill it with manure, newspaper, cardboard, kitchen scraps, etc and then toss in the worms.
    John
    South TX

3. Woodrow

Woodrow New Member

This is what we did when we built our new rabbit barn...
    We dug pits 5 1/2 feet wide and 18 inches deep,35 ft long..and hung cages above them..cages are five ft wide..we left a little extra to make sure the urine and manure went into the pits.

We found out it was hard to keep everything wet enough when it was just manure, then we had a heck of a fly problem, plus maggots., especially in the urine spots.

Then it was hard to work the worms under the cages, but we were trying to sell the worms too, so was hard to dig under the cages. The flys and maggots were the worst part.

So what we ended up doing was moving the rabbit cages to another part of the barn and just had open pits. Now we rake up the rabbit manure weekly and throw it on the worm pits...we put about 6 inches of soaked peat moss in the bottom of the beds before we added the worms and then just keep adding manure and water often because the worms need 70% water to stay alive.

Now our barn doesn't stink,no fllies.I'm happy,rabbits and worms are happy
    I hope this helps...Woodrow

4. ozarkin'it

ozarkin'it Well-Known Member

what made you not have flies anymore? Maybe I'm confused, but it didn'y sound like you did anything but have 2 piles of waste instead of one, and just created more work for yourself.