I saw it tried once but it was not a great success. The droppings had to be very deep to function properly for the worms.The areas under the drinkers were always too wet and other areas got too dry. The wormery worked much better when it was moved away from the rabbits and just topped up with the droppings when the floors under the cages were cleaned.
i found my worms do better in bins away from the rabbits. i started in bins
then tried a colony under my rabbit cages, the bins produce much better for me.
i still used only rabbit manure in my bins but i feel the urine had something to do with it. plus it is much easier to work the bins then trying to harvest the worms
from under the rabbit cages.
I guess I don't have problems with the urine because of the bedding I have to use (Flemish Giants) there is a deep layer of mixed straw, hay, and leaves under all of my cages. I don't have bins under the cages but the worms "free range" the rabbit yard, the bantams make regular trips over there to scratch for spilled food and worms. The ground out there is like one big compost bin.
I had an after thought, if you could supply sawdust to ballance the urine, like in piles under the wet spots, then spread it across the bin, with a dressing of straw so the worms can come up to the top layers and you can keep the moisture even, that should fix the troubles.
A forum community dedicated to living sustainably and self sufficiently. Come join the discussion about livestock, farming, gardening, DIY projects, hobbies, recipes, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!