Worktrade for land contract ???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by spiralmama, May 28, 2005.

1. spiralmama

spiralmama New Member

I am new to this site and after searching i am wondering if you all might be able to guide my search further. I had heard there were threads regarding working in trade in order to gain the contract (over time) on a piece of land in which the current elderly owner resides and oversees. I probably did not use the correct key words in my search. Any additional direction would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Go into the archives, click 'countryside', scroll down to 'land' catagory for 400 plus past posts consening gaining land. Welcome aboard.

3. spiralmama

spiralmama New Member

Thanks so much!

4. Running Arrow

Running Arrow Member

If you do pursue this further to a contract, be sure all details are spelled out in writing. Including the $$ value of your work, who is to keep record of it, specifically what "work" is included, etc. Time limits to "buy" on contract before more $$ is required, financing when you finally purchase the land, etc.

Remember, sellers and customers are both good & bad, crooks, shysters, quality deals, etc. Not a respector of age. The old people can screw you as easily as the younger ones. JMO.

5. spiralmama

spiralmama New Member

ok- i don't know what i'm doing wrong but when I click on archives and then go to "countryside families", i don't see a "land" section. I even searched using the word "land" and am not finding what you mention.

Guess I am needing a bit of hand-holding here... :)

thanks!

6. spiralmama

spiralmama New Member

Invaluable advice! i appreciate your wisdom.

7. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

Many land grant colleges have programs to match up beginning farmers with retirees/ or soon to be. The farms are quite varied from what I have seen. Again go with written contract and have a lawyer look it over.