workshop insullation

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by ticomic, Oct 23, 2006.

1. ticomic

ticomic New Member

I live in N-E Québec, and from now till April, forget an unheated shop... I have 20 X 30 feet in the second story of an old barn with a tin roof over rough planks. The roof is at 45 degrees and meets the floor. No side walls.
    I just have to heat the place up to 50F occasionally. Does anyone have any experience with successfully insulating with LESS R-values than what is suggested, and maybe using other materials besides Pink wool ? How about 2 in of foam and some superfoil with air bubbles and TenTest?
    Also, to heat, I would like to avoid electricity ($), and wood stoves in such an old building are just like looking for trouble. Maybe a corn furnace with an outside air intake? My only question is wether the circulating fan could get clogged up because of dust? Any suggestions? Merci!!

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Insulation is the way to keep whatever heat you produce inside but of course you can use less insulation. You'll just have to produce more heat to keep it warm. Your biggest problem is you must insulate the floor too. When I checked in the spring pink was the cheapest way to insulate anything (here In Ottawa) and having good insulation and a good air barrier seal would mean alot less energy to heat the space and a smaller cheaper heating system. I hate to think it but well insulated and occasional use requirement sounds like electric heat is going to be the cheapest over-all and you can switch to a corn stove or other later with the better insulation. Spend on insulation now and do it right, change the heater later. If you needed it more regularly and have running water, I'd still say insulate it well and go with a gas or oil water heater with an air handler, then you have hot water too. So many options but good insulation makes more of them viable.

3. MrPG

MrPG Well-Known Member

I have heard that if you can make friends with the local motorcycle dealer, they can save you the big pieces of styrofoam that bikes are shipped in. Then you use a hotwire to cut them to fit between the rafters and you are set. The styro also serves as a moisture barrier.