Working Outside vs. Caloric Intake vs. loosing weight ??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordy, Aug 6, 2005.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...................I'm needing advise from those who have worked\are working outside all day and therefore have a higher metabolic rate thus "more calories" , etc. I will be starting a new job driving dump truck\backhoe\etc. and I want to structure my food intake such that I will actually be loosing Weight . I'm Not fat but need to loose about 35 lbs because diabetes runs in my family . I would like to hear from those who have knowledge of what types of low sugar\high protein foods that I can consume without having to "stop" work . My employer expects me to stay busy :eek: , and so I shall "try" as much as Possible :bow: . I'm feeling tired already :sleep: thanks , fordy.. :)

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Surely you will get a few minutes for a lunch break. You don't need to eat anything at other times unless you are working 12 hours a day. Running a steering wheel don't require any great amount of calories. Check out the fat truck drivers at the truck stop.

3. mrglock27

mrglock27 Well-Known Member

egg whites are perfect, no fat or chelesterol, thats all in the yolk. and boneless skinless chicken is high in protein, steak is too. I just started limiting myself to 2,000 calories a day and lost about 4 pounds last week. i am 5'9" and 225, trying to get to about 170. good luck

Mike

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

............Oh Yes! :monkey: I don't go in there as much as I use to but those folks have very generous amounts of excess excess baggage! :eek: And I'll have alunch break , I was just looking for some idea's on low cal snacks
    while working . thanks , fordy :)

5. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Beef jerky would be convenient.

6. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I would start the day with a decent breakfast first.
    I would have hearty lunches and not be eating anything while working. At breaks you could have nutritious snacks like fruits, granola type snack bars, jerky. Vary it a bit and have the occasional snack bar of your choice. If you are metabolizing from the work you are doing, you shouldn't be putting on extra weight. Keep a count on how many 'extra' things like donuts you might be having, and also that you don't overeat at supper. After supper a good walk or some activity is ideal. A lot of those 'fat' truck drivers pack away a lot of beer. That might be one thing to really try and control the intake of. That is where much of the calorie intake is when you're NOT on the job.

7. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

To start with, toast and an egg or two in the morning is good to keep my energy up: I suppose that OTHER types of protien would be also. A bowl of cereal is a disaster: I get starved a couple of hours later.

I ALSO like to carry a few crackers and diet soda. The crackers give me a boost when I need it, and the diet soda makes me feel fuller so I don't over eat.

I have found that if I eat something when I need it, I am much less likely to eat the wrong kinds of foods later. That is why I like to carry crackers. Perhaps you should make it a habit to eat a few on your AM and PM breaks?

8. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

In spite of what many dietary gurus say, counting calories doesn't always work when you're trying to lose weight. I've found that when I counted calories (and was "allowed" something like a 4-oz. portion of steak), I was still hungry and didn't lose much weight at all - in spite of working outside. I switched to a high protein/low carbohydrate diet (similar to the well-known Atkins diet) and have been steadily losing weight with no problem.

One of my neighbors has diabetes. The only way he has ever managed to lose weight and keep it off is with an Atkins-type diet.

And definitely stay away from "diet soda" ... nasty stuff according to ongoing research.

9. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

Low Glycemic foods and protien.

These foods will provide you with the proper energy to keep you going and not the sugar spikes. They are also on the recommended foods for a diabetic diet.

Boiled eggs for snacks, low fat sugar free yogurt, fresh fruit and low fat cheese. Stay away from refined carbs, bread etc. unless they are whole grain.

Jill

10. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i agree.

if you need to lose a few pounds, go sugar free. abdominal fat (if you have it) will melt away.

the other thing that helps at meals is to think of you plate divided into 4ths. 2 parts are vegetables, one part protein, one part carb (like bread or potatoes or corn.)

11. Terri

Speaking from experience, managing your diet is an art form for us folks who are prone to diabetes. What works for one person may not work for another: to some extent you are going to have to try things out and see.

For me, a few crackers as a snack do me a great deal of good: for you?????? Who knows???? In the end, only you will be able to say.

12. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..................Thanks guys for taking the time to reply . I did get my weight down to 210 back in Nov of last year . But , I was unemployed and was basically not very active so I was in total control of my food intake . My ultimate goal is to get down to 180 :clap: which would allow me to wear the 20 plus pairs of wranglers that are hanging in my closet . I get up about 4:30 am and It takes me an hour to wake UP :shrug: . Fortunately , I only have to drive about 10 miles west on 2 lane country roads to get to my starting point . I hate to cook in the early Am but guess I'll have to establish a new routine . I'm going to experiment as you suggested Terri with the low sugar\high protein snacks during the day and see what happens. Also , I'm going to try and Eliminate Supper altogether if I can keep my face out of the frig. :nono: This is going to take alot of self discipline so we'll show how things work out . Thanks , to all who responded . fordy.. :help:

13. Terri

Eliminating supper? For someone who might have insulin resistance?

Again, everyone is different, but whenever I skip a meal I am REALLY prone to overeat later! :eek:

Good luck, with whatever pattern works for you.

14. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Last summer I found that you can go to the store and buy a lot of things that are 100 calories. It really helped me keep the weight down. All those new little packs of stuff have 100 calories. You can snack but not eat too much. Starbucks cappicino bars are also 100 calories. They are in the grocers freezer. Pria bars are also 100 calories. Very tasty.
    I did that because it is impossible to eat 20 of these packs, to reach 2,00 cals. Helped me from getting fatter.
    No sugar is also the way to get rid of belly fat, I agree with Marvella.

15. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

Do not eliminate a meal!!!!!!

This only slows down your metabolisim. Eat more smaller meals. Eating every three hours keeps your metabolism up. A boiled egg, a salad etc. keeps you moving and satisfied. I have lost almost 20 pounds in the last couple of months. I actaully am eating 1200 1500 calories per day and never get hungry. Men are supposed to have a minimum of 1500 caloroes per day any less and you are effecting insulin and metabolism. It is far better to lose it slower and change your habits for life.

Jill

16. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

small meals. I eat a lot of peanut butter/apples/other fruits/dark chocolate and i'm skinny (130ish and over 6 feet!)...i also am very active. I think you need to balance the exercise with the food intake. I don't eat dairy products or go near soft drinks (only orange juice/apple juice). Stick with wheat bread.

17. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

I must agree with the last two posts,,, dont eliminate any food!!! Especially if you are prone to diabeties. You need to eat to speed up your metabolism. Stay away from fruit in the afternoon, stay away from fats in the morning, eat your fats in the afternoon and carbs in the morning - this is how you speed up your metabolism. I lost 60 pounds in the last year just counting calories, now I am down to the last 30 pounds to loose, and am having to reset my metabolism... Drink lots of lots of water.... DH has me fix him a breakfast "biscuit" and freeze them. It is a hamburger bun with egg/cheese/sausage on it. He just pops it in the microwave and has a hot breakfast every morning. That could be a breakfast solution for you.
    Be sure to eat every few hours to speed up your metabolism, and check out the glycemic index, it can have a lot of bearing on your weight loss too.
    Good luck!

18. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

My type I diabetic sister likes to have some lowfat cheese and yogurt on hand for a filling snack. Almonds are also great, and full of antioxidents as well. My mother in law (type II) makes dehydrated veggie chips to satisfy her need for a crunchy snack without the high carbs of potato chips. Remember that traveling tends to dehydrate, so have plenty of drinks in the truck to avoid feeling run-down from dehydration. My husband does physical work all day, and he really enjoys iced green tea (which is also an appetite suppressant). Best of luck at your new job, and in your new diet plan!

19. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

I second the Atkin's or similar low-carb diet. I've been on one since January with about one month of cheating in July, and I have lost about 48 pounds with almost no hunger pangs to speak of.

I eat alot of eggs, meat, cheese, almonds, sugar-free candy, cream, raspberries, marinated or seasoned chicken breasts, lettuce, tomatoes, olives, caulifower, cabbage, brussel sprouts.

As far as convenience, nothing beats a marinated or seasoned chicken breast sliced and in a zip-loc. My favorites are to season them with chile lime, or italian herbs or make up a dry rub with all kinds of herbs and spices. You can also pick out a low-carb dressing and simmer the breast saucepan.

I would also eat frequently rather than the typical three meals a day. When you feel like you have to eat, that is your blood sugar taking a plunge, so the last thing you need are high carb foods since that will send the blood sugar the other way and start that vicious cycle that keeps you overeating. Gorge on eggs and other high protein foods until the feeling passes. Your body will then begin to burn fat to fuel itself and that causes weight loss.

20. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Interesting as I just spoke with my doctor about this very topic. I am working physically hard outside all day clearing the forest etc. I also need to lose some weight am 5-9 and 200 would like to be 175 or 180. Middle age makes losing weight more difficult too. Doc tells me that 1) to lose weight you must expend more energy than you take in. 2) you must eat enough that you are not losing muscle mass while losing weight. 3) you must drink plenty of water (enough so that your urine is almost colorless) to flush out the gunk from your system. 4) you must consume 3500 calories each week less than your body needs in order to lose 1 pound per week. 5) doc said i would be better off to eat most of my calories during the morning and early afternoon and less of them at night when i was less active. told me lots of fruit and veggies, water, lean meat and very little in the way of breads/buns;/potatoes and fats should just about take care of my weight issue. so that is what i am doing and it seems to be working though slowly cause i slip up sometimes when chocolate cake passes infront of my face LOL. good luck to you too!