Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am worried our family Jersey has worms. She is not putting on a lot of weight despite constant access to coastal hay, fresh green grass, and a special dairy ration x2 daily. I was going to get a dewormer (ivermectin) but with her being fresh I wasn’t sure if this was a good idea or if there was one special for dairy cows (eprinomectin). Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Call your Vet. They should be able to advise you and order/sell you the meds that will not affect the milk. If none are available they will tell you that as well.
Go to a REAL Farm Supply where there are people who own there own stock. A lot of times they are a wealth of Information because they work with it every day at home as well.

Treating for Internal Parasites of Cattle
Cooperative Extension Service
Purdue University
West Lafayette, IN 47907

Dairy Cows
Dairy cows kept in drylots or semi-confinement have access to fecal contaminated feed or water; this practice results in a detrimental load of internal parasites. Mature cows should be wormed at the end of lactation to avoid discarding milk, or wormed at any time with Morantel tartrate, because this product does not require discarding of milk. Replacement heifers should be wormed as yearlings and again prior to entering the milking herd.

Dairy Calves
Dairy calves confined to small lots frequently carry heavy loads of worm parasites. It may be necessary to worm them twice or more during warm weather to maintain desired growth rates.

Good Luck! Dsmythe

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that information. I will call our vet on Monday. And it was the gentleman at our local feed/ag store that was the one who mentioned trying a wormer.

P.S. the title should have been “wormer” not worker haha

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh boy do they haha.. but that being said, my best guess would give her a BCS of 2 and I would like to see her at a 3, maybe a 4 after she is breed back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts