Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever build their own truck cap? I want something like the A.R.E. side door opening caps with shelves. Trouble is the ones I've seen are a bit shallow I guess trying to leave more box space. I could live with it but if I were to design my own it'd have deeper side boxes and even a front compartment going side to side. I don't really want to build one but I'm not seeing what I want ready made. I thought I'd ask if anyone ever made their own and was happy with it. Tips would be useful.

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
Ross, is there a reason that you would not use a tag along enclosed trailer instead of a cap. That way the truck would not be sucking down excess fuel when it was needed for a trip to town and the tools could be dry and secured in the trailer when not needed?

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use the truck exclusively for service work so it can stay set up as such. Its a extenda cab long box so backing a trailer up is too much of a chore anyhow. I have a truck for farm work too.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
Anyone ever build their own truck cap? I want something like the A.R.E. side door opening caps with shelves. Trouble is the ones I've seen are a bit shallow I guess trying to leave more box space. I could live with it but if I were to design my own it'd have deeper side boxes and even a front compartment going side to side. I don't really want to build one but I'm not seeing what I want ready made. I thought I'd ask if anyone ever made their own and was happy with it. Tips would be useful.
Why not buy a used one and modify it? I see fiberglass and metal caps in the local "ad" papers for under $100, sometimes for free. You just need to be mindful of your truck bed measurements.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Ross our JD dealer has a new F150, it looks like a regular shallow service cap on it but just behind the passenger door there's a half door in the side of the bed with a door in the cap over top of it too so you can put a full tool chest, compressor etc. in at the front of the bed. Never seen that before.

By the time you make a cap wouldn't you be as well off to sell the box (if it's in decent shape) and build a service body?

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was looking at modifying a cap too but they aren't cheap here or at least I haven't found one yet. I would consider pulling the box (and it is in good shape) and using a service box, I even have one. Except its for a 3-5 ton. Making one would need a heated shop I think and is a bigger project than I have time for but it is tempting.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Remember seeing a guy that had a regular truck cap on his truck and two sheets of plywood across the top of the bed, he just smashed the windows out and put his tools up top and left the bottom of the bed open. You could put doors on the windows, but it wouldn't leave much bed space except for pipes or ductwork.

What you really need is one of the chuckwagon bodies, then you could find space for your tools and your lunch as well.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Friend of mine has a neat wooden box/shelf that rolls out on garage door track leaving enough room underneith for full sheets of plywood etc. Very cool. I'd rather grab small items from outside as it's faster. I had a full size van with shelves though and it was fine......... I even snuck a look at another diesel version I found used. Not going there this time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts