Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the first time every I watched a work horse competition and loved it just seeing how good some of the drivers were was worth the $20. Now I must say that rodeo just isn't my thing (I swear bronc and bull riding started with an "I bet" or a "watch this" in combination of a lot of alcohol) mainly because other than calf roping the events do not have any practical use.

Any as always I rambled off topic. What I meant to see was if any of you have seen a competition like this, or maybe even competed in one?

·
Premium Member
41,058 Posts
So for the first time every I watched a work horse competition and loved it just seeing how good some of the drivers were was worth the $20. Now I must say that rodeo just isn't my thing (I swear bronc and bull riding started with an "I bet" or a "watch this" in combination of a lot of alcohol) mainly because other than calf roping the events do not have any practical use.

Any as always I rambled off topic. What I meant to see was if any of you have seen a competition like this, or maybe even competed in one?
I will agree with you on the bull riding, thats purely an ego thing, but all of the other events in the rodeo are based on necessary skills of the trade.

Back to you main topic.... I enjoy watching a good pulling contest... mules or horses. Havent seen any other "work" competitions, but we do have the pulls here fairly regularly. I find it amazing how those animals will give their all once they hear that hook connect!

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,365 Posts
A few weeks ago I attended a Draft Horse event. Every team had a forecart. Drivers had to pull in between orange highway cones, back up turn back up again, pull ahead, turn, back up, all between cones. Then drive around, more backing and turning. Judged by time with knocked cones added to time.
Then they had teams pulling a big sled and a team member sitting in a rocking chair on the sled with 20 ears of sweet corn, husk and all. The teamster was to circle 4 barrels and his team mate was to throw corn into each barrel. Timed for speed, with extra points for number of ears into the barrel.
The final contest had the horse teams hooked to forecarts, circling the fenced arena. In the center were poles on the ground representing parking spaces, entry from either end. 10 teams, 10 spaces. Horses circle until the music stops and every team heads to a parking space. Then one space is removed, 10 teams, 9 spaces. Equine version of muical chairs. Team without a space is eliminated and another space removed until it got down to one space and 2 teams. What a lot of fun.

Years ago, I did an obstacle course with highway cones. I pulled 2 small logs around the cones, without going "out of bounds" or hitting a cone.

In a few weeks there will be single horses with Medowbrook carts in an obstacle corse at the Michigan Great Lakes International Draft Horse Show and Pull. Hardest one is driving onto a piece of plywood and turning around with one wheel staying on the plywood.

What sort of horse competition did you see? A horse pull? Two types. Pulling a flat bottom sled loaded with weights or a Dynamiter that uses a truck that provides resistance..

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few weeks ago I attended a Draft Horse event. Every team had a forecart. Drivers had to pull in between orange highway cones, back up turn back up again, pull ahead, turn, back up, all between cones. Then drive around, more backing and turning. Judged by time with knocked cones added to time.
Then they had teams pulling a big sled and a team member sitting in a rocking chair on the sled with 20 ears of sweet corn, husk and all. The teamster was to circle 4 barrels and his team mate was to throw corn into each barrel. Timed for speed, with extra points for number of ears into the barrel.
The final contest had the horse teams hooked to forecarts, circling the fenced arena. In the center were poles on the ground representing parking spaces, entry from either end. 10 teams, 10 spaces. Horses circle until the music stops and every team heads to a parking space. Then one space is removed, 10 teams, 9 spaces. Equine version of muical chairs. Team without a space is eliminated and another space removed until it got down to one space and 2 teams. What a lot of fun.

Years ago, I did an obstacle course with highway cones. I pulled 2 small logs around the cones, without going "out of bounds" or hitting a cone.

In a few weeks there will be single horses with Medowbrook carts in an obstacle corse at the Michigan Great Lakes International Draft Horse Show and Pull. Hardest one is driving onto a piece of plywood and turning around with one wheel staying on the plywood.

What sort of horse competition did you see? A horse pull? Two types. Pulling a flat bottom sled loaded with weights or a Dynamiter that uses a truck that provides resistance..
The one I saw started with pulling a large round bale on a sled 15 feet, then hitching to a wagon in a key they had to turn out of. Also there was cones with tennis balls on top of them at the exit of the key. Then a close slight turn with cones and 2-4's on top. They then had to back up at a 90 degrees between some more cones with tennis balls. Unload a salt block, the pull out at the opposite 90 degrees, weave between more cones with tennis balls. They then had to turn around and the teamster had to throw a small square bale in a target as they moved passed it. Then back to the keyhole and unhitch from the wagon. 12 min max but if they did it in 8 (only 1 did without knocking the ball or 2X4's off or driving over the cone completely (6 min 43 sec) they got bonus points.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,914 Posts
Wish you had posted pictures! A good team is a pleasure to watch work.

·
Premium Member
12,024 Posts
Been to a Horse pull. I'd hate be the sucker that steps in there to hook em' up. When they here that clang they off whether your in there or not.

Reactions: haypoint
1 - 7 of 7 Posts