Work boots for women

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by PrettyPaisley, Aug 1, 2013.

1. PrettyPaisley

PrettyPaisley Well-Known Member

I am going through garden shoes, the backless slip on kinds like crazy. Flip flops, tennis shoes, ankle high rubber like boots ... it's like a shoe store graveyard around here. I've been through several pairs of rubber knee high boots and I really just don't care for them much at all. I bought another pair yesterday that come up to my calves are easier to slip on and off but darn it, I want a pair of nice, long lasting leather boots that are for women. All I have come across in the stores are the bulky steel-toe type for men. I am not opposed to wearing a man's shoe but I've got a size 10 foot (I know, I know) and add to that a huge honking steel toe and someone is going to get hurt - ME! I have a hard enough time tripping over steps and stumps and clumps and cinder blocks tied around goats ... I can't add more to that mix.

Where can I find a pair of leather boots that are mid-calf, have the finger hoops for pulling them up and will last for many, many years? Light weight would be nice but I'd rather have leather than synthetic mainly because I'm thinking they will last a lot longer. And I don't want laces - too many small spots for goat poop and dirt to hide. They don't have to be lined-it's not that cold here. Just waterproof ...

Any ideas?

2. kalmara

kalmara Well-Known Member

Jodphur boots - they have elastic sides & finger hoops, easy to get on & off, not mid calf, but very comfortable, give good support for the ankle, I wear mine all year round.

Irish Pixie likes this.

3. o&itw

o&itw aka avdpas77 Supporter

Good luck,
    No matter how much I spend, I can't get a pair of men's work boots that last longer then 9 or 10 months if I wear them every day. Some of us are just hard on shoes.

It is easier for me to get cheap athletic shoes from K-mart. the last about 3 months as good shoes, and when they start busting out I wear them outside for another 3 months before they completely fall apart.....Wallys World has cheap socks, one goes through a lot of them with this method. In the winter, in the slop, I wear muck boots.

My wife gets hiking boots, but they don't come up as far as you like.

4. wdcutrsdaughter

wdcutrsdaughter Well-Known Member

Have you looked into Bogs boots? Not leather but I figured they were worth mentioning....a little expensive but so far mine are holding up well...

Jupiter and StoneHavenS like this.
  5. BigHenTinyBrain

BigHenTinyBrain Well-Known Member

I have almost the same problem! Except that I wear a size 11, and have trouble finding tall boots with wide enough calves. My first suggestion for boots would definitely echo Kalmara- riding boots. If you prefer- cowboy boots. Not the fancy, inexpensive kinds, but the good solid made-for-horse-people ones.

I have given in to filthy feet all summer and my "work boots" are now a pair of leather sandals. My rubber boots gave up and I don't want to be lacing something on and off all day- I take my barn-and-garden footwear off before coming inside. I guess I'll get a new pair of rubber barn boots soon.

6. PrettyPaisley

Okay so I found some Wolverine boots. Before I sell my soul for a pair-anyone have any first hand experience with them ?

7. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

We use Bogs for barn cleaning, gardening, & pretty much everything farm related. Worth every penny.

Irish Pixie likes this.
  8. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I like Bogs, but my feet sweat in them. Yuk.

9. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

Jupiter likes this.
  10. Taylor R.

Taylor R. Well-Known Member

Personally, I love the Fat Baby by Ariat. My feet are pretty wide for a girl, and they don't constrict my toes as much as most other boots. I've had all three pairs that I have for over ten years, one of them is exclusively for yucky outside work, and they've held up very well. They come in both synthetic and real leather, I do believe. Plus, you can find them pretty cheap on sale. I got one pair of mine for $45 new. They hit just below mid-calf.

hercsmama and MO_cows like this.
  11. hiddensprings

hiddensprings Well-Known Member

I've tried Muck boots and they didn't last. I switched to Bogs and had the same problem with them not holding up. I went back to cheap, rubber boots for working around the barn and then use Ariat Fat Baby's the rest of the time.

hercsmama and Taylor R. like this.
  12. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I got some really nice georgia boots(ladies 8&9) at tractor supply on clearance...late May early June...$30 regular 120...
    My family wears Mucks for hunting...My husband prefers Chippewa brand boots...

13. o&itw

o&itw aka avdpas77 Supporter

I have. They are good boots, but like I say I am hard on boots and mine lasted less than a year when I was wearing them everyday.

Same with Carolinas, Red Wings, and Rockys.

I know others, though, that have had them last for a few years.

Actualy, I did buy some "Mac" or "Big Mac" or something similar boots (I believe at JC Penneys) that, although they did not last any longer, were about half the price of the others.

PrettyPaisley likes this.
  14. MO_cows

MO_cows I calls em like I sees em

Another vote for Ariat boots. Have owned 2 pairs of them and they were comfortable from the get go, and they have really held up well. The Fat Baby style is very comfortable. You should be able to get them with "waffle stomper" soles or a smoother sole depending on preference.

Taylor R. likes this.
  15. wyld thang

wyld thang God Smacked Jesus Freak Supporter

Turtle Island/Yelm, WA "Land of the Dancing Spirit
    What's wrong with man boots? I love em, nice room for toes, made better...

elkhound likes this.
  16. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

for me-- I have a narrow heel and the men's version just adds to the problem!

17. hippygirl

hippygirl Well-Known Member

I know what you mean! I'm constantly in/out of my house all day long and it's easier to be able to just slide my shoes off/on, so I dedicated a pair of Crocs to the garden and resigned myself to scrubbing my feet like a mad woman every night.

18. PrettyPaisley

I'm okay with flip flops in the garden but I can't wear them in the barn. Goats don't really pay attention to where they are stepping and I've had more than one land on my foot!

I don't like men's boots because they are too chunky. I'm not the most sure footed (of course this isn't something I realized about myself until I started this journey) so I need something that is more slim and form footing. I've worn men's tennis shoes and boots before and I just don't like them.

Those Fatbaby Ariats are so STINKING CUTE! So cute I would really like two pair-one for the barn and one for going out! I've never seen them before ... I think I will peck around online and see if I can find a deal!

Thanks!

Taylor R. likes this.
  19. elkhound

elkhound Well-Known Member Supporter

20. elkhound

elkhound Well-Known Member Supporter