Work At Home?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TheNelsons, Apr 13, 2006.

1. TheNelsons

TheNelsons Working towards our goals

Any of you who work at home doing things like mailings, typing, or putting things together; could you please give me some suggestions on good stable companies to do this for? Maybe some contact information?
    I am pregnant and trying to make some extra money from home.

Thanks!
    Steph

2. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

Check out the "WAHM" (work at home moms) site. They have a lot of info, plus if you check the message boards, they'll tell which companies are good and which to stay away from.

Website..............http://www.wahm.com/

3. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

I looked for years for something like this and found that the best way to make money at home is either crafts or eBay. Farm products too. Most work at home things are scams.

There was an elderly man here who planted an area about 100' by 50' in rows with all types of those naturalizing Narcissus or Daffodils. Every Spring he would pick bunches of them, bundle them with string into bunches of 6-8 depending on how big the blooms were, put them into cans of water then set up benchs beside the road and sell them for $1 or $2 a bunch~~~self serve. He had a coffee can with a slot in the top of the lid set up to collect the money. He rarely got ripped off because he was watching and would go out and get his money. At times he would stay out there and talk to his customers. He would have to replenish his cans several times a day as sales were brisk. This on a secondary road. Sometimes there would be several cars stopped with many people walking around choosing their bouquets. Most bought a few bunches, rarely less than 2 or 3. At this time of the year people are very "hungry" for flowers especially low priced pretty ones. We stopped there one day and he told us that he made thousands off that plot of flowers each Spring~~~more than enough to pay his taxes and give him extra spending money. This might be an idea for someone who has a plot of ground just waiting to be planted with a very low-care money maker. Wouldn't these bulbs grow in rocky or stumpy ground? I don't think that there are many pests that bother Narcissus bulbs and they last for many years especially if you planned well when planting them. Not too close together so they could spread etc. The best part is that they are so pretty when they are all in bloom. His flowers have been growing there for many years now and are still blooming profusely. Sadly he is long gone.

4. linn

linn Well-Known Member Supporter

You might check with companies, like Lockline, who insures cell phones. It is sometimes possible to work as a customer service rep. from your home. It is also possible to sell for companies such as Shaklee, but it takes a while and a lot of hard work to build up a customer base.

5. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

How much money do you need to make at home, Steph? Are you balancing it with child-rearing? Owning your own home based business doesn't always mean you get to stay home, you may be needing to make deliveries, do home parties, or some such thing.

My experience with the WAHM boards is that they're not much more than women trying to sign you up for multi-level party businesses. Avon yesterday, Mary Kay today. Not that I've got anything against home parties as I've thrown a few myself, but for most folks they're not exactly going to bring home the bacon. And you still need to spend a great deal of time outside of the home (usually when your dh is home with the kids!)

Those mailings and craft businesses tend to be scams, like crystalniche said.

You could do daycare. Do you have land that can produce something?

You may want to decide if you're able to spend 10 hours a week outside the home, or if all your income needs to come from the home.

6. erika20

erika20 New Member

I work at home doing legal coding and tutoring, and am quitting the tutoring shortly because I was hired to score tests for the major Testing company that does most of the standardized tests. Unfortunately these things require experience/education. I was a special ed teacher before I had children. Since my first was born, I've been at home. I've heard that there are a few companies out there that don't require particular experience, most of these would be like inbound calling and things of that nature. For example, where customers call a number on an infomercial to order something and the people taking the calls are actually working at home. The pay for these types of jobs is not always steady due to call volume. I would not suggest the mailing/making crafts for a company type of thing, as most of these are scams. I think the only way to really suceed with something like that would be to find a source to sell crafts to directly on your own. Good luck. It can be done. :)

7. busybee870

busybee870 Well-Known Member

I work at home , inbound calls, processing orders. Very legitimate, and after doing it for a short time they give you opportunities for different project to take calls for. No you dont Have to have experience, but you do have to take their course. So they TRAIN you , for free. I make up my own schedule, I work while my kids sleep, I work whatever days I want. I have been doing it for 3 weeks, the checks are nice.
    http://www.workathomeagents.com/

8. Deb862

Deb862 Well-Known Member

I work from home as a medical transcriptionist, however, this requires some education but is pretty darn good money for working at home. Also, my daughter just recently started working a 2nd job PT at home (they are saving to buy a house) doing call answering (?) as stated by someone above. She also makes pretty decent money and when they finally buy a home she plans on doing it FT at home. Both of the above things are definitely not scams.

9. busybee870

busybee870 Well-Known Member

I agree Deb, the company I work for is Legitimate you can alos go to LIVEOPS, they too are legitimate. I hear the training is easier. However they require you to pay $30.00 for a background check. I didnt have to do that with the one Im with. They Pay ME. I didnt have to give them anything.

I have 2 kids, dont want to work outside of the home, the gas alone would eat up a paycheck if I had to. This way, Im here with my kids, Im bringing in a check, ITS ALL GOOD> GOD IS GOOD!

10. sewsilly

sewsilly Well-Known Member

Steph, I've worked at home for 20 years while raising kids, sometimes working more than others, based upon what income we needed at the time. Most of my work has been sewing related, which is a skill I've had since childhood. Some examples, I did contract work for about 4 years, with a company that makes things for day care centers. I sewed sheets for day care center cribs, as many as 150 sheets a week. (Simple things, looked like pillowcases) The company provided giant rolls of fabric and I was paid per piece. With some of that money, I purchased an embroidery machine, and did a variety of things. I made alot of money making totes for moms/grandmoms with little embroidered stick figure kids. I personalized them, the kid had the names and the sex/hair color of your family. A few years, I did costumes for local ballet guilds (lots of money but aggravating clients.. lol, my kid also took lessons there).Once I made 160 tuu-tuus in 6 weeks. My entire family went about with peachy colored strings and net attached to them. The kids tagged sizes and bagged and boxed.
    My strangest job was no doubt, making costumes (yes, the spandexy things) for professional wrestlers. It was interesting. And we got free tickets to pro-wrestling. (frightening!)

Look good at the skills you have and think of a way to capitalize on them.
    We sell veggies from our garden and eggs from our hens. I also bake breads and cakes and those type things do well on holidays. I hang a little sign in the teachers lounge at the local school. If things are good, word of mouth increases your business.
    I make a pound cake flavored with rum or bourbon and I will only make a certain number. The teachers compete to get on the list.
    You just have to put yourself out there. Sometimes a little risk pays off.

I've recently bought a building in town and am opening a knitting /quilting store. We've hit the kids in college/medical school phase, so I wish to be more productive$$$$. My youngest is in jr high and a personable 'store friendly' kid.

good luck finding possibilities
    dawn

11. TheNelsons

TheNelsons Working towards our goals

Wow thank you all VERY much for your thoughts and ideas.. I can think of a few I can try and will...
    I do not have to bring in very much and I do have a green thumb/land so I am going to do that.
    We live so far out that driving in even 10 hours would eat the pay.
    I am also going to try the call center site...

Thanks Again to everyone and YES it can be done :)
    Steph

12. Red Devil TN

Red Devil TN Well-Known Member

I started selling AMSOIL, Altrum,Aquabrite, AGGRAND and Pure Power products from home. Looks promising and I had used AMSOIL before. You can go here to request some free info:

AMSOIL

I've been official for a week and already have sold a few orders for oil. Granted, it's no indication, but I do know a few other independant dealers and some do really well while others just treat it as something just 'there' and mainly use it for their own and family's use so they can take advantage of the dealer pricing. :shrug: