Wooopeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jcran, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

:) :) :) :) :) I am sooooooo excited! I have been trying to figure out good shelters for this coming rainy season (last year we had 75+ inches) and I discovered calf hutches and polydomes and portahuts were just way toooo expensive to ship out to the west coast here. So I just got off the phone with a pipe company and one of them has 4 "returned" half pipe culverts that they are going to GIVE me, FREEEEEEEEEEE! I am walking on air! I had budgeted so much money for putting in new shelters (I just cross fenced my pens so I have 4 now instead of 1 and only one big box stall) and now I have money for hay, etc. that I hadn't planned. They are 10' across the base and 5 feet high. I don't know how long they are but I am guessing at least 6 or 8 feet long. I will have to pay someone to haul them out to my house but so what!!!!!!! Life is good.

2. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

How did you come upon the idea of calling a pipe company? That's pretty creative thinking. Keep us posted on how they work out. That is great for you!

3. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

That's great news. They should be goat proof too.

4. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

they use things like that alot back in kansas, especially on farms that have Spanish stock that are too wild to come up to the barns, the does have their kids out in the half domes and hide them there till they are big enough to go out into the cold

thats awsome you got them free Congratulations

5. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

I went and looked at them last night (I'm taking 30 5th graders to outdoor ed camp for the next three days so I can't pick them up until Sat morn) and they are all different lengths. One is about 6-8 feet long and one looks about 5 feet long. The others look like 3 or 4 feet. I am wondering if I could butt those two up together and seal it somehow to make one long one. My husband (the one who actually understands money-my brain just doesn't go there) is so excited I didn't have to spend money, that he's going to help me schlep them home and then we're hiring some high school kids to help us move them off our trailer when we get them home. It doesn't get so cold here that the metal will freeze or hurt them. I'm just going to bed them well with a base of gravel, top with old stall mats that we've got in place, and top with straw. Someone said I could then just bed through the winter and move the whole thingamajig off in the spring to clean the old bedding off.