Wooo Hoooo it's seed time!!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Kazahleenah, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

Today I went out and started gathering the first of my seeds! I have saved vegetable seeds forever, but this is my first year doing flowers... (I'm pretty excited, can you tell?) Some of these seeds are soooooo TINY!!! I do have a question for anyone out there who has had "Love Lies Bleeding"... how/when do I gather the seeds from that plant? Thanks in advance!!

Kaza

2. mulliganbush

mulliganbush Well-Known Member

I don't know about your weather. I wait until the first good frost before cutting the heads and laying them on sheets to dry. I don't grow a lot.

3. .Marie.

.Marie. Registered Human

I have little seedlings already sprouting from seeds that have dropped from the first blooms. Those first blooms are somewhat faded and bedraggled and it was in the process of pinching them off that I discovered the seedlings. So if I were going to save seed from them, I'd probably shake them over a white sheet now, give the seeds some time to dry, then store them in a jar.

Hope that helps.

4. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

The Love Lies Bleeding you are talking about with the sheet Marie? That sounds like a good idea. :) Thanks. What seeds does everyone plan on saving this year?

Kaza

5. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

We are renting a house while we wait to get started building our new one. So.....I have been saving a lot of seeds to take over to our new place next spring. I have saved chives, basil, calendula, zinnias, marigolds, tried to save digitalis..but don't know if I got viable seeds, will also save cleome, asters, coreopsis, heliopsis, and anything else that dries up and I can save it. I usually save the whole flower head and let it dry on a paper plate the rest of the way. I put mine in a paper envelope because I have had some molding troubles with how humid it is here. Don'tcha just love the miracle of a seed!!!??!! :angel: