Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like a lot of people, believe in it or don't but we all tend to really cock an eyebrow at those first wooly bears that show up around the farm in the fall and compare their coats and color patterns to what the Farmer's Almanac and the weather service has to say about the upcoming winter.

For us in North Eastern MO, the outlook is predicted to be colder than usual but average for snow and the early wooly worms around our farm seemed to reflect that prediction. Solid black each and every one of them except for one that had a dark brown 'skirt' around him. That is until last week when each and every wooly worm that I've seen trying to sneak into the house has showed up with a thick, wide band of brown around its middle. No solid blacks at all. Each one bi-colored and sporting a very thick coat.

I have to admit I've never seen them change in mid season this way, cold and average precip to snowy in a matter of weeks.

I think they are trying to confuse me, but then again, these days that isn't all that hard to do. Still with all the serious stuff happening in the world right now, a little light harmless fun with wooly worms is just what the doctor ordered.

Any one else notice their Wooly Bears changing their minds now that winter is approaching?

U

·
0 Posts
Saw a scientific explanation of different colored wooly worms . Said their color was determined by their age . According to science their color has nothing to do with up-coming winter weather .

·
Registered
451 Posts
I've seen all sorts of colors here, the standard black and brown, but also all black and all brown. The only difference is I seem to have seen a lot more recently than in recent years...don't know if that means anything though!

·
Banned
39 Posts
Same here in NW Montana too. Mice and packrats are much more of a nuisance than usual, and though we're supposed to get a more mild winter, I'm beginning to wonder.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Ours were showing a normal winter. We usually average off all that we see. So far fall has been as predicted, warm they are saying a cold winter though so if we average it off it will be a normal season all together.

·
Milk Maid
2,873 Posts
Ours have all had a band... and like others we've noticed a LOT more of them this year. And for some reason many of them have felt a very strong need to cross Hwy 65... I'm always spotting them trying to make it over to the other side.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I don't think we even have woolie worms around here. At least not enough to notice. Until THIS YEAR!! They're every where!!! Even crawling across the highway last month! Yuck. They don't make it across very often, ya know? I don't know where they came from, but I think they were telling us we were about to get flooded again. So this year, I am going to blame the flood on the woolie worms! Yeah! LOL

·
Registered
328 Posts
We've had a lot more here in Idaho than I've seen in the five years I've been here. A lot more. I'd not seen many of the all blacks before, maybe just a handful. This year it's been about 2/3rds regular black and brown banded to 1/3 blacks. I'd never seen the blonds and orange before this year. Can't remember if they are earlier or not.

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
I don't think I've every seen a wooly worm. Pictures, please?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We've had more wooly bears than usual here. No matter where you are, look down and there will be one crawling around or trying to get inside. There has also been a surplus of little grasshoppers (makes me wish I had gotten chickens this year) and recently those obnoxious Japanese Beetles. The Beetles have appeared with a vengeance. I was outside yesterday hanging up clothes to line dry and the nasty things were flying into me and bouncing off my face. I had one land on my arm and immediately start to bite me.

The wooly worms are fun in the fall but those Japanese Beetles are just plain nasty.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Lot's more than usual here as well. As a matter of fact, we were having this discussion just the other day here.
Box Elders, Cluster Flies, Woolie Worms, Grasshoppers, all of them have tripled over last year. What's up with that?:hair

·
Wait................what?
2,257 Posts
I don't think I've ever actually woolly worms with any brown on them. All the ones up here are always black. Our area this year has been swamped with yellow jackets and wasps. Lots of fun there. Lots of pine beetles flying around this fall, too. Way more than normal.

·
Milk Maid
2,873 Posts

·
Milk Maid
2,873 Posts
Lot's more than usual here as well. As a matter of fact, we were having this discussion just the other day here.
Box Elders, Cluster Flies, Woolie Worms, Grasshoppers, all of them have tripled over last year. What's up with that?:hair
Our grasshoppers and woolie worms have definitely increased like crazy this year. The grasshoppers got to the point where we started talking about making a meal out of them! :D

At the moment we are being invaded by these bugs - Asian Lady Beetles.

They bite!

Reactions: BlueRose
1 - 20 of 23 Posts